This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Combustion Analysis via Block Vibration during Engine Transient Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To ensure compliance with emerging Diesel emission standards and demands for reduced fuel consumption, the optimization of the engine operation is imperative under both stationary and real operation conditions.
This issue imposes a strict control of the combustion process that requires a closed-loop algorithm able to provide an optimal response of the engine system not only to warm-up, accelerations, changes in the slope of the road, etc., but also to engine aging and variations of fuel properties.
In this paper, with the final purpose of accomplishing an innovative control strategy based on non intrusive measurement, the engine block vibration signal is used to extract useful information able to characterize the in-cylinder pressure development during the combustion process.
In the previous research activity, the same methodology was applied to stationary operation of the engine. In such a condition, it demonstrated to work not only with standard diesel fuel, but also with biodiesel blends. This paper focuses on the application of the technique when the engine is operating under transient conditions.
In the research, a small displacement two-cylinder Diesel engine equipped by high pressure common rail (HPCR) fuel injection systems was used. The results of engine speed and torque transient tests are presented to highlight the reliability of the method in the optimization of the combustion process not only to obtain better engine performance, but also to reduce the smoke emissions.
CitationChiatti, G., Chiavola, O., and Recco, E., "Diesel Combustion Analysis via Block Vibration during Engine Transient Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0147, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0147.
- Cains , T. , Pates , D. and Warth , M. Improving Speed and Accuracy of Gasoline and Diesel Engine Testing via Closed-Loop Combustion Control SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0902 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0902
- Pipitone , E. and Beccari , A. A Study on the Use of Combustion Phase Indicators for MBT Spark Timing on a Bi-Fuel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0051 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0051
- Lujan , J. , M. , Bermudez , V. , Guardiola , C. and Abbad , A. A methodology for combustion detection in diesel engines through in-cylinder pressure derivate signal Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 24 7 2261 2275 2010
- Bueno , V. A. , Velasquez , J. , A. and Milanez , L. , F. A new engine indicating measurement procedure for combustion heat release analysis Applied Thermal Engineering 29 8-9 1657 1675 2009
- Polonowski , C. , J. , Mathur , V. , K. , Naber , J. , D. and Blough , J. , R. Accelerometer Base Sensing of Combustion in a High Speed HPCR Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0972 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0972
- Johnsson , R. Cylinder pressure reconstruction based on complex radial basis function networks from vibration and speed signals Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 20 8 1923 1940 2006
- El-Gharmy , M. , Steel , J. , A. , Reuben , R. , L. and Fog , T. , L. Indirect measurement of cylinder pressure from diesel engine using acoustic emission Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 19 4 751 765 2005
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Moro , D. , and De Cesare , M. Diesel Engine Acoustic Emission Analysis for Combustion Control SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1338 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1338
- Morello , A. J. , Blough , J. R. , Naber , J. D. and Libin , J. Signal Processing Parameters for Estimation of the Diesel Engine Combustion Signature SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1649 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1649
- Carlucci , A. P. , Chiara , F. F. and Laforgia , D. Block Vibration as a Way of Monitoring the Combustion Evolution in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1532 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1532
- Arnone , L. , Boni , M. , Manelli S. , Chiavola , O. , Conforto S. and Recco , E. Block Vibration Measurements for Combustion Diagnosis in Multi-cylinder Common rail Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0646 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0646
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. and Recco , E. Accelerometer Measurements to Optimize the Injection Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1341 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1341
- Chiatti , G. , Chiavola , O. and Recco , E. Combustion and Vibration Characteristics in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel Blends SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1902 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1902