This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Optical Sensor for the Measurement of the Displacement of the Needle in a Common Rail Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since the needle displacement exerts a fundamental influence in the operation of a Common Rail Diesel injection equipment, an accurate measurement of the instantaneous position of the control piston is crucial for a more thorough analysis of the behavior of the injectors, in particular when multiple injections are employed. Moreover, the development of a cheap instrumentation would allow to enlarge the Diesel engine on-board equipment with an instrumentation for the diagnosis of the injector operation.
Eddy current sensors have been traditionally used in lab activities to measure the position of the needle inside the injector; apart from its high cost, the scientific literature clearly shows their inadequacy, given the presence of electromagnetic disturbance: the current pulse which controls the opening of the injector nozzles generates electromagnetic fields which strongly affect the acquisition of data.
Many attempts have been made either to solve the interference occurring during the measures or to propose a displacement transducer whose operation is not influenced by electromagnetic interference.
The sensor that will be proposed in this paper (Patent filing October 2012, under submission for PCT extension) follows the latter line: it is an optical transducer which joins the simple and very cheap construction with the employment of a reliable physical principle for measuring the needle lift.
The paper provide all technical and scientific details of the operation of the proposed sensor, as well as a wide proposition of experimental applications aiming at assessing its capability of detecting also multiple injections.
CitationAmirante, R., Catalano, L., and Coratella, C., "A New Optical Sensor for the Measurement of the Displacement of the Needle in a Common Rail Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0146, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0146.
- Tanaka Takehiro , Ando Akihiro , Ishizaka Kazuyoshi Study on pilot injection of DI diesel engine using common-rail injection system JSAE Review 2002
- CeliKten I. An experimental investigation of the effect of injection pressure on engine performance and exhaust emission in indirect injection Diesel engine Applied Thermal Engineering 23 2051 2060 2003
- Catalano , L. , Tondolo , V. , and Dadone , A. Dynamic Rise of Pressure in the Common-Rail Fuel Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0210 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0210
- Amirante R. , Catalano L. A. , Dadone A. , Lombardo V. On the Use of Fast-Response Pressure Transducers in a Common-Rail Diesel Injection System 8th Biennial ASME, Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, (ESDA) Torino (IT) 4 7 July 2006
- Carlucci A.P. , de Risi A. , Laforgia D. , Naccarato F. Experimental investigation and combustion analysis of a direct injection dual-fuel diesel-natural gas engine Energy 33 2008 256 263
- Papagiannakis R.G. , Hountalas D.T. , Rakopoulos C.D. Theoretical study of the effects of pilot fuel quantity and its injection timing on the performance and emissions of a dual fuel Diesel engine Energy Conversion and Management 48 2007 2951 2961
- Coppo M. , Dongiovanni C. , Negri C. A Linear optical sensor for measuring needle displacement in commonrail diesel injectors Science and Actuators A 134 366 373 2007
- Sienkiewicz F. & Shukla A. Simple Fiber-optic Sensor for Use over a Large Displacement Range Dynamic Photomechanics Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Rhode Island Kingston, RI 02881, USA
- Prelle Christine , Lamarque Frederic , Revel Philippe Reflective optical sensor for long-range and high-resolution displacements Universitè de Technologie de Compiegne, Laboratoire Roberval France
- Virdee Manohar Sub-nanometric precision displacement sensing using low mass and rough surfaces as movable targets GMV Consultants Limited 20 Kingsbridge Road, Norwood Green UB2 5RT, UK
- Catania A.E. , Ferrari A. , Manno M. , Spessa E. Experimental investigations of dynamics effects on multiple-injection Common Rail System Performance Journal of Engineering for Gas and Turbine Power May 2008 130 032806
- Catania A.E. , Ferrari A. , Manno M. Development and application of a complete common rail injection system mathematical model for Hydrodinamic Analysis and Diagnostics Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power November 2008 130 062809