This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD and FEM Analysis of a New Engine for Light Transportation Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An engine head of a common rail direct injection engine with three in line cylinders for Light Transportation Vehicle (LTV) applications has been analyzed and optimized by means of uncoupled CFD and FEM simulations in order to assess the strength of the components. This paper deals with a structural stress analysis of the cylinder head considering the thermal loads computed through an CFD simulation and a detailed FV heat-transfer analysis.
The FE model of the cylinder head includes the contact interaction between the main parts of the cylinder head assembly and it is subjected to the gas pressure, thermal loads and the effects of bolts tightening and valve springs. The results, in term of temperature field, are validated by comparing with those obtained by means of experimental analyses. Then a fatigue assessment of the cylinder head has been performed using a multi-axial fatigue criterion.
CitationVivio, F., Vullo, V., Bella, G., Ferracci, M. et al., "CFD and FEM Analysis of a New Engine for Light Transportation Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0140, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0140.
- Hartmann , G. and Sturm , J. Integrated Numerical Optimization of Highly Loaded Aluminum Cylinder Heads SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3429 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3429
- Tichánek R. , Španiel M. , Diviš M. Structural Stress Analysis of an Engine Cylinder Head Acta Polytechnica 45 3 43 48 2005
- Mendes , A. and Cardoso , A. Structural Analysis of the Aluminum Cylinder Head for a High-Speed Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2562 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2562
- Jinlong M. , Shixiong L. Structure Analysis of the Nose Bridge of the Engine Cylinder Head Tractors and Power Machines 11 2 52 57 2006
- Arnone , L. , Bella , G. , Vivio , F. , and Vullo , V. Thermo- Structural Analysis of a New Engine Cylinder Head SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0165 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0165
- Van Dang Macro-Micro Approach in High-Cycle Multiaxial Fatigue Ann Arbor, Advances in Multiaxial Fatigue, D.L. McDowell and R. Ellis 1993