This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stoichiometric Natural Gas Combustion in a Single Cylinder SI Engine and Impact of Charge Dilution by Means of EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper experimental results of a medium duty single cylinder research engine with spark ignition are presented. The engine was operated with stoichiometric natural gas combustion and additional charge dilution by means of external and cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR).
The first part of this work considers the benefits of cooled EGR on thermo-mechanical stress of the engine including exhaust gas temperature, cylinder head temperature, and knock behaviour. This is followed by the analysis of the influence of cooled EGR on the heat release rate. In this context the impact of fuel gas composition is also under investigation. The influence of increasing EGR on fuel efficiency, which is caused by a changed combustion process due to higher fractions of inert gases, is shown in this section. By application of different pistons a relationship between the piston bowl geometry and the flame propagation has been demonstrated. Unstable combustion due to increasing charge dilution could be shifted to higher EGR rates by means of adapted piston geometry. By increasing EGR a correlation between the required advancement of spark timing and the process of heat release is shown. These relationships are finally compared to lean natural gas combustion.
CitationSchöffler, T., Hoffmann, K., and Koch, T., "Stoichiometric Natural Gas Combustion in a Single Cylinder SI Engine and Impact of Charge Dilution by Means of EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0113, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0113.
- Cho , H.M. and He , B.-K. Spark Ignition Natural Gas Engines-A Review Energy Conversion and Management 48 2 608 618 2007 10.1016/j.enconman.2006.05.023
- Dimopoulos , P. , Bach , C. , Soltic , P. , and Boulouchos , K. Hydrogen-Natural Gas Blends Fuelling Passenger Car Engines: Combustion, Emissions and Well-to-Wheels Assessment International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33 23 7224 7236 2008 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.07.012
- Corbo , P. , Gambino , M. , Iannaccone , S. , and Unich , A. Comparison Between Lean-Burn and Stoichiometric Technologies for CNG Heavy-Duty Engines SAE Technical Paper 950057 1995 10.4271/950057
- Einewall , P. and Johansson , B. Combustion Chambers for Supercharged Natural Gas Engines SAE Technical Paper 970221 1997 10.4271/970221
- Leiker , M. , Christoph , K. , Rankl , M. , Cartellieri , W. et al. Evaluation of Antiknocking Property of Gaseous Fuels by means of Methane Number and its Practical Application to Gas Engines ASME Paper No. 72-DGP-4 1 16 1972
- Koch , T. , Ritzinger , J. , and Schöffler , T. Piston For a Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine International Patent, WO 2012143075 A1 October 26 2012
- Wachtmeister , G. Verbrennungsmotoren Lecture Script Fakultät für Maschinenwesen, Technische Universität München 2006
- Dahnz , C. and Spicher , U. Irregular Combustion in Supercharged Spark Ignition Engines - Pre-Ignition and Other Phenomena International Journal of Engine Research 11 6 485 498 2010 10.1243/14680874JER609
- Davis , G. and Law , C.K. Determination of and Fuel Structure Effects on Laminar Flame Speeds of C 1 to C 8 Hydrocarbons Combustion Science and Technology 140 1-6 427 449 1998 10.1080/00102209808915781
- Hacohen , J. , Ashcroft , S. , and Belmont , M. Lean Burn Versus EGR S. I. Engine SAE Technical Paper 951902 1995 10.4271/951902
- Ganser , J. , Blaxill , H. , and Cairns , A. High-load EGR in a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine MTZ Worldwide 68 7-8 16 18 2007 10.1007/BF03226842
- Cairns , A. , Blaxill , H. , and Irlam , G. Exhaust Gas Recirculation for Improved Part and Full Load Fuel Economy in a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0047 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0047
- Duchaussoy , Y. , Lefebvre , A. , and Bonetto , R. Dilution Interest on Turbocharged SI Engine Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0629 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0629
- Lumsden , G. , Eddleston , D. , and Sykes , R. Comparing Lean Burn and EGR SAE Technical Paper 970505 1997 10.4271/970505
- Ayala , F. , Gerty , M. , and Heywood , J. Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0229 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0229