This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Styrofoam Precursors as Drop-in Diesel Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Styrene, or ethylbenzene, is mainly used as a monomer for the production of polymers, most notably Styrofoam. In the synthetis of styrene, the feedstock of benzene and ethylene is converted into aromatic oxygenates such as benzaldehyde, 2-phenyl ethanol and acetophenone. Benzaldehyde and phenyl ethanol are low value side streams, while acetophenone is a high value intermediate product. The side streams are now principally rejected from the process and burnt for process heat. Previous in-house research has shown that such aromatic oxygenates are suitable as diesel fuel additives and can in some cases improve the soot-NOx trade-off.
In this study acetophenone, benzaldehyde and 2-phenyl ethanol are each added to commercial EN590 diesel at a ratio of 1:9, with the goal to ascertain whether or not the lower value benzaldehyde and 2-phenyl ethanol can perform on par with the higher value acetophenone. These compounds are now used in pure form. In future work, real streams, which are rich of these compounds, but contain various other chemicals as well, will be used.
Experiments have been performed on a heavy duty (12.6L) diesel engine, of which one cylinder is a dedicated test cylinder. The results demonstrate that the emissions and efficiencies are more or less comparable for all aromatic oxygenates. Afterwards, the results are compared against neat diesel. It was found that, depending on operation conditions, either the efficiency of the oxygenates was higher, while the emissions where comparable to diesel or the emissions decreased dramatically with comparable efficiencies as diesel. Accordingly, compared to neat diesel, both the high- and low-value styrene streams yield overall positive engine behavior in all measured operating conditions.
CitationReijnders, J., Boot, M., de Goey, P., and Johansson, B., "Styrofoam Precursors as Drop-in Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0108, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0108.
- Boot , M. et al. Cyclic oxygenates: A new class of second generation biofuels for Diesel engines? Energy and Fuels 23 4 1808 1817 2009
- Di Blasio , G. , Beatrice , C. , Dijkstra , R. , and Boot , M. Low Cetane Number Renewable Oxy-fuels for Premixed Combustion Concept Application: Experimental Investigation on a Light Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1310 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1310
- Janssen , A.J. et al. Tailor-Made Fuels from Biomass for Homogeneous Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Energy Fuels 2011 25 4734 4744 10.1021/ef2010139
- Neill , W.S. et al. The influence of high cetane blending components on emissions from a heavy-duty diesel engine with EGR Proceedings. ASME 2004 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical, Conference, Fuels and Combustion 315 323 2004 10.1115/ICEF2004-0887
- Alleman Teresa L. , McCormick Robert L. and Vertin Keith Assessment of Criteria Pollutant Emissions from Liquid Fuels Derived From Natural Gas National Renewable Energy Laboratory NREL/TP-540-31873
- Uchida , M. and Akasaka , Y. A Comparison of Emissions from Clean Diesel Fuels SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1121 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1121
- de Jong , E. and Gruter , G. Furanics: A Novel Diesel Fuel with Superior Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2767 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2767
- Zhou , L. , Boot , M. , and de Goey , L. The Effect of the Position of Oxygen Group to the Aromatic Ring to Emission Performance in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1216 1239 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1697
- Leermakers , C. , Luijten , C. , Somers , L. , Kalghatgi , G. et al. Experimental Study of Fuel Composition Impact on PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1351 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1351
- Kaario , O. , Brink , A. , Lehto , K. , Keskinen , K. et al. Studying Local Conditions in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine by Creating Phi-T Maps SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0819 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0819