This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison between a Diesel and a New 2-Stroke GDI Engine on a Series Hybrid Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The internal combustion engine (ICE) for a series hybrid vehicle must be very compact, fuel efficient reliable and clean; furthermore it should possess excellent NVH features; finally, the cost should be as low as possible.
An unconventional but not exotic solution, potentially ideal to fulfill all the above mentioned requirements, is represented by a 2-Stroke externally scavenged GDI engine, without poppet valves. BRC (Cherasco, Italy) and PRIMAVIS (Turin, Italy) are currently developing an engine of this type, incorporating a patented rotary valve for the control of the charge induced to cylinder. The development is supported by extensive CFD simulations, which are able to predict all the main engine performance characteristics.
The paper analyzes, from a theoretical point of view, the installation of the engine on an electric vehicle, previously optimized for a small Diesel engine (Smart 0.8 l CDi). For a straight comparison between the Diesel and the 2-Stroke GDI engine, all the vehicle components are the same. Furthermore, the operating points employed for battery charging correspond to the same values of brake power.
The 4-S Diesel and the 2-S GDI engine are compared from several point of views: fuel economy in the European driving cycle, capability to comply with stringent emissions regulations, cost, overall dimensions, weight, etc. It is found that the new 2-Stroke engine can possess the advantages of the Diesel in terms of fuel efficiency, while maintaining the compactness and cost effectiveness of the best SI Range Extenders.
CitationMattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C., and Cantore, G., "Comparison between a Diesel and a New 2-Stroke GDI Engine on a Series Hybrid Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0085, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0085.
- Turner , J. , Blake , D. , Moore , J. , Burke , P. et al. The Lotus Range Extender Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 318 351 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2208
- GETRAG Boosted Range Extender 2RET300 http://www.getrag.com/iaa/fileadmin/content/pdf/products/engl/Press_information_2RET300.pdf Frankfurt Motorshow 2009
- MAHLE range extender improves acceptance of electric drive systems http://www.mahle.com/C125705E004FDAF9/vwContentByKey/W28LJFHF256STULEN September 2011
- Fischer et al Range Extender Module - Enabler for Electric Mobility ATZ Autotechnology 9 40 46 May 2009
- Fraidl , G. , Beste , F. , Kapus , P. , Korman , M. et al. Challenges and Solutions for Range Extenders - From Concept Considerations to Practical Experiences SAE Technical Paper 2011-37-0019 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0019
- Rambaldi , L , Santiangeli , A , Orecchini , F. and Naso , V Sviluppo di una strategia di gestione energetica del motore a combustione interna di un veicolo ibrido serie Proceedings (in Italian) of the “65° Congresso Nazionale dell'Associazione Termotecnica Italiana” Domus de Maria (Italy) September 2010
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , Cantore , G. , and Baldini , P. 2- Stroke Externally Scavenged Engines for Range Extender Applications SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1022 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1022
- KIVA's users manual
- GT-Power User's Manual
- Cantore , G. and Mattarelli , E. A New Concept for Ultra- Compact Automotive HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1253 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1253
- De Marco , C. , Mattarelli , E. , Paltrinieri , F. , and Rinaldini , C. A New Combustion System for 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1255 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1255
- Mattarelli , E. , Fontanesi , S. , Gagliardi , V. , and Malaguti , S. Multidimensional Cycle Analysis on a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0161 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0161
- Cantore , G. , Fontanesi , S. , Malaguti , S. , and Mattarelli , E. CFD-3D Multi-Cycle Analysis on a New 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0707 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0707
- Mattarelli , E. Virtual Design of a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine International Journal of Engine Research Professional Engineering Publishing June 2009 10 3 1468-0874 175 193
- Mattarelli , E. , Paltrinieri , F. , Perini , F. , Rinaldini , C. et al. 2- Stroke Diesel Engine for Light Aircraft: IDI vs. DI Combustion Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2147 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2147
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C. , and Wilksch , M. 2-Stroke High Speed Diesel Engines for Light Aircraft SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2338 2360 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0089
- Rinaldini , C. , Mattarelli , E. , and Golovitchev , V. CFD Analyses on 2-Stroke High Speed Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2240 2256 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0016
- Malaguti , S. , Fontanesi , S. , and Severi , E. Numerical Analysis of GDI Engine Cold-Start at Low Ambient Temperatures SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2123 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2123
- Fontanesi , S. , Paltrinieri , S. , D'Adamo , A. , Cantore , G. et al. Knock Tendency Prediction in a High Performance Engine Using LES and Tabulated Chemistry SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 98 118 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1082
- Cantore , G. , Fontanesi , S. , Gagliardi , V. , and Malaguti , S. Effects of Relative Port Orientation on the In-Cylinder Flow Patterns in a Small Unit Displacement HSDI Diesel Engine 2005
- Mattarelli , E. , Rinaldini , C.A. , Golovitchev , V.I. Potential of the Miller Cycle on a HSDI Diesel Automotive Engine 2013 Applied Energy Elsevier 10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.05.056
- The High-Speed Internal Combustion Engine Fifth Ricardo , H. and Hempson , J.G.G. Blackie & Son Limited London 1968
- The Two Stroke Cycle Engine - Its Development, Operation, and Design Heywood , J.B. and Sher , E. Taylor & Francis, Inc 1-56032-831-2
- 2-Stroke Engine with Low Consumption and Low Emission International Patent PCT/IT2010/000057 by Piero Baldini, Publication N° WO/2011/101878 August 25 2011