This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Potential of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition for the Analysis of Combustion CCV and Knock Tendency in a High Performance Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper reports the application of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition (POD) to LES calculations for the analysis of combustion and knock tendency in a highly downsized turbocharged GDI engine that is currently under production. In order to qualitatively match the cyclic variability of the combustion process, Large-Eddy Simulation (LES) of the closed-valve portion of the cycle is used with cycle-dependent initial conditions from a previous multi-cycle analysis [1, 2, 3]. Detailed chemical modelling of fuel's auto-ignition quality is considered through an ad-hoc implemented look-up table approach, as a trade-off between the need for a reasonable representation of the chemistry and that of limiting the computational cost of the LES simulations.
Experimental tests were conducted operating the engine at knock-limited spark advance (KLSA) and the proposed knock model was previously validated for such engine setup . All the presented calculations are carried out for an increased spark advance (SA) to both promote knock onset over a large set of cases and to assess the modelling framework sensitivity to small variations in engine operations.
The analysis of combustion development and knock onset is carried out analysing 20 subsequent engine cycles through POD of both flame front evolution and local autoignition locations. Particularly, phase-dependent three-dimensional POD is implemented over the scalar distributions of progress variable of the chemical reactions and auto-ignition location, estimated based on the work by Lafossas et al. . The method of snapshots introduced by Sirovich is used for POD . The proposed POD analysis is critically discussed in terms of physical soundness, capability to investigate the engine knock-characteristics and applicability to the optimization of the combustion chamber.
CitationFontanesi, S., D'Adamo, A., Paltrinieri, S., Cantore, G. et al., "Assessment of the Potential of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition for the Analysis of Combustion CCV and Knock Tendency in a High Performance Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0031, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0031.
- Fontanesi, S., Paltrinieri, S., d'Adamo, A., Duranti, S., “Investigation of boundary condition effects on the analysis of cycle-to-cycle variability of a turbocharged GDI engine”, International Conference on LES for Internal Combustion Engine Flows, 2012
- Fontanesi, S., Paltrinieri, S., Tiberi, A., and D'Adamo, A., “LES Multi-cycle Analysis of a High Performance GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1080, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1080.
- Fontanesi, S., Paltrinieri, S., D'Adamo, A., Cantore, G. et al., “Knock Tendency Prediction in a High Performance Engine Using LES and Tabulated Chemistry,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6(1):98-118, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1082.
- Lafossas, F., Castagne, M., Dumas, J., and Henriot, S., “Development and Validation of a Knock Model in Spark Ignition Engines Using a CFD code,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2701, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2701.
- Sirovich, L., “Turbulence and the dynamics of coherent structures,” Quarterly of Applied Mathematics 45:561-590, 1987.
- Lumley, J. L., “The structure of inhomogeneous turbulent flows,” Atmospheric Turbulence and Radio Wave, 166-178, Nauka, Moscow, 1967
- Baby, X., Dupont, A., Ahmed, A., Deslandes, W. et al., “A New Methodology to Analyze Cycle-to-Cycle Aerodynamic Variations,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2837, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-2837.
- Liu, K. and Haworth, D., “Development and Assessment of POD for Analysis of Turbulent Flow in Piston Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0830, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0830.
- Deslandes, W., Dupont, A., Baby, X., Charnay, G. et al., “PIV Measurements of Internal Aerodynamic of Diesel Combustion Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3083, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3083.
- Deslandes, W., Dumont, P., Dupont, A., Baby, X. et al., “Airflow Cyclic Variations Analysis in Diesel Combustion Chamber by PIV Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1410, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1410.
- Chen, H., Reuss, D. L., Sick, V., “Analysis of misfires in a direct injection engine using proper orthogonal decomposition,” Exp Fluids (2011) 51:1139-1151
- Danby, S. J., Echekki, T., “Proper orthogonal decomposition of autoignition simulation data of nonhomogeneous hydrogen-air mixtures”, Combustion and Flame, Volume 144, Issues 1-2, January 2006, Pages 126-138
- Bizon, K., Continillo, G., Merola, S. S., Vaglieco, B. M., “Application of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition to the Reconstruction of Space and Time Resolved Images of Flames in Internal Combustion Engines”
- Bizon, K., Continillo, G., Mancaruso, E., Merola, S. S., Vaglieco, B. M., “POD-based analysis of combustion images in optically accessible engines”, Combustion and Flame 157 (2010) 632-640
- Bizon, K., Continillo, G., Lombardi, S., Merola, S. et al., “Analysis of flame kinematics and cycle variation in a Port Fuel Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):443-451, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0057.
- Bizon, K., Continillo, G., Leistner, K. C., Mancaruso, E, Vaglieco, B. M., “POD-based analysis of cycle-to-cycle variations in an optically accessible diesel engine,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32 (2009) 2809-2816
- BIZON, K., CONTINILLO, G., MEROLA, S., and VAGLIECO, B., “Application of Proper Orthogonal Decomposition to the analysis of I.C.E. space and time resolved data,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0007, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-24-0007.
- Chen, H., Reuss, D. L., Sick, V., “On the use and interpretation of proper orthogonal decomposition of in-cylinder engine flows,” International Journal of Engine Research doi:10.1088/0957-0233/23/8/085302.
- Chen, H., Reuss, D. L., Hung, D. L. S., Sick, V., “A practical guide for using proper orthogonal decomposition in engine research,” International Journal of Engine Research doi:10.1177/1468087412455748.
- Heywood, J. B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,”, McGraw Hill
- Mattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C., Cantore, G., and Baldini, P., “2-Stroke Externally Scavenged Engines for Range Extender Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1022, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1022.
- Colin O., Benkenida A., “The 3-Zone Extended Coherent Flame Model (ECFM3Z) for computing premixed/diffusion combustion”, Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP, Vol. 59, Issue 6, Pages 593-609, doi:10.2516/ogst:2004043.
- Duclos, J., Bruneaux, G., and Baritaud, T., “3D Modelling of Combustion and Pollutants in a 4-Valve SI Engine; Effect of Fuel and Residuals Distribution and Spark Location,” SAE Technical Paper 961964, 1996, doi:10.4271/961964.
- Richard S., Colin O., Vermorel O., Benkenida A., Angelberger C., Veynante D. “Towards large eddy simulation of combustion in spark ignition engines” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 31 (2007) 3059-3066.
- Vermorel O., Richard S., Colin O., Angelberger C., Benkenida A., Veynante D., “Towards the understanding of cyclic variability in a spark ignited engine using multi-cycle LES”, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 156, Issue 8, Pages 1525-1541, ISSN 0010-2180
- Malaguti, S., Fontanesi, S., Vaglieco, B., Sementa, P. et al., “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Idle Operating Engine Condition for a GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0031, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0031.
- Malaguti, S., Fontanesi, S., and Severi, E., “Numerical Analysis of GDI Engine Cold-Start at Low Ambient Temperatures,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2123, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2123.
- Rutland, C. J., “Large-eddy simulations for internal combustion engines - A review”, doi:10.1177/1468087411407248.
- Andrae, J. C. G., Head, R. A., “HCCI Experiments with gasoline surrogate fuels modelled by a semidetailed chemical kinetic model,” Combustion and Flame 156 (2009) 842-851
- DARS Manual Book 2 - Homogeneous Reactor Models
- Douaud, A. and Eyzat, P., “Four-Octane-Number Method for Predicting the Anti-Knock Behavior of Fuels and Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 780080, 1978, doi:10.4271/780080.
- Fontanesi, S., Cicalese, G., and Tiberi, A., “Combined In-cylinder / CHT Analyses for the Accurate Estimation of the Thermal Flow Field of a High Performance Engine for Sport Car Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1088, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1088.
- Fontanesi S., Giacopini, M., “Multiphase CFD-CHT optimization of the cooling jacket and FEM analysis of the engine head of a V6 diesel engine”, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 52, Issue 2, 15 April 2013, pp. 293-303, ISSN 1359-4311, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.12.005.