This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Opportunities for Injury Reduction in US Frontal Crashes: An Overview by Structural Engagement, Vehicle Class, and Occupant Age
Published November 11, 2013 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
An overview NASS study of US frontal crashes was performed to investigate crash involvement, driver injury distributions and rates in airbag equipped vehicles by vehicle class and structural engagement. Frontal crash bins were based on taxonomy of structural engagement, i.e., Full Engagement, Offset, Between Rails and Corner impact crashes. A new classification of Corner impacts included frontal small overlap impacts with side damage as coded by NASS CDS. Belted drivers of two age groups, between 16 and 50 and over 50 years old, were considered. Vehicles were grouped into light and heavy passenger cars and lights trucks, and vans. A method to identify and address overly influential NASS weights was developed based on considerations of weighting factor statistics. The new taxonomy, with an expanded definition of corner impacts, allowed a more comprehensive classification of frontal crash modes. Results highlight the need to address upper extremities injuries and to better address lower extremities injuries for both the younger and older drivers. For all body regions studied, the vast majority of all serious and moderate injuries occurred in Full Engagement and Offset crash modes for both the younger and older drivers. Corner impacts, which have been the focus of recent research and testing programs, are the smallest contributors to serious and moderate injuries in frontal crashes. Greater opportunities to mitigate injuries in frontal crashes for vehicles have been shown to exist in lower speed full frontal and offset crash modes.
CitationSamaha, R., Prasad, P., and Nix, L., "Opportunities for Injury Reduction in US Frontal Crashes: An Overview by Structural Engagement, Vehicle Class, and Occupant Age," SAE Technical Paper 2013-22-0017, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-22-0017.
- AAAM 1990 The Abbreviated Injury Scale (1990 revision) Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- Augenstein , J. , Digges K. , Bahouth , G. , Dalmotas , D. , Perdeck , E. , and Stratton , J. 2005 Investigation of the performance of safety systems for protection of the elderly Proc. 49 th Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Conference
- Bahouth , G. , Zaloshnja , E. , Miller , T. , and Snowden , C. 2007 Analysis of Tow-Away Crash Injuries with the Introduction of Sled-Certified Airbags Calverton (MD) Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation
- Bean , J.D. , Kahane , C.J. , Mynatt , M. , Rudd , R.W. , Rush , C.J. , and Wiacek , C. 2009 Fatalities in frontal crashes despite seat belts and airbags - review of all CDS cases - model and calendar years 2000-2007 - 122 fatalities National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Technical Report No. DOT HS 811 202
- Digges , K. , Dalmotas , D. , and Prasad , P. 2013 An NCAP star rating system for older drivers Proc. 23 rd Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 13-0064 Seoul, Korea
- Hong , S.W. , Park , W. , and Hong , S. 2013 Thoracic injury characteristics of elderly drivers in real world car accidents Proc. 23 rd Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 13-0337 Seoul, Korea
- IIHS 2012 Small overlap frontal crashworthiness evaluation crash test protocol (version II) Insurance Institute for Highway Safety www.iihs.org
- Johannsen , H. and Muller , G. 2013 Accident and injury risks of elderly car drivers Proc. 23 rd Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 13-0223 Seoul, Korea
- Kahane , C.J. 2012 Relationships between fatality risk, mass, and footprint in model year 2000-2007 passenger cars and LTVs - final report Washington, DC National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Kononen , D. W. , Flannagan , C. A. , and Wang , S. C. 2011 Identification and validation of a logistic regression model for predicting serious injuries associated with motor vehicle crashes Accident Analysis & Prevention 43 1 112 122
- Pintar , F. , Yoganandan , N. , & Maiman , D. 2008 Injury Mechanisms and Severity in Narrow Offset Frontal Impacts Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine San Diego, CA
- Radja , G. A. 2012 National Automotive Sampling System-Crashworthiness Data System, 2011 Analytical User's Manual (No. DOT HS 811 675)
- Rudd , R.W. , Bean , J. , Cuentas , C. , Kahane , C.J. , Mynatt , M. , and Wiacek , C. 2009 A study of the factors affecting fatalities of airbag and belt-restrained occupants in frontal crashes Proc. 21 st Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 09-0555 Stuttgart, Germany
- Saunders , J. , Craig , M.J. , and Suway , J. 2011 NHTSA's test procedure evaluations for small overlap/oblique crashes Proc. 22 nd Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 11-0343 Washington, D.C.
- Saunders , J. and Parent , D. 2013a Assessment of an oblique moving deformable barrier test procedure Proc. 23 rd Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 13-0402 Seoul, Korea
- Saunders , J. and Parent , D. 2013b Repeatability of a small overlap and an oblique moving deformable barrier test procedure SAE International Journal of Transportation Safety 1 2 2013
- Scullion , P. , Morgan , R.M. , Digges , K. , and Kan , C.D. 2011 Frontal crashes between the longitudinal rails Proc. 22 nd Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 11-0372 Washington, D.C.
- Sharma , D. , Stern , S. , Brophy , J. , and Choi , E. 2007 An overview of NHTSA's crash reconstruction software WinSMASH Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. Paper No. 09-0211
- Sherwood , C.P. , Nolan , J.M. , and Zuby , D.S. 2009 Characteristics of small overlap crashes Proc. 21 st Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Technical Conference, Paper No. 09-0423 Stuttgart, Germany
- Sherwood , C.P. , Mueller , B.C. , Nolan , J.M. , Zuby , D.S. , and Lund , A.K. 2013 Development of a frontal small overlap crashworthiness evaluation test Traffic Injury Prevention 14 sup1 S128 S135
- Sullivan , K. , Henry , S. , and Laituri , T.R. 2008 A frontal impact taxonomy for USA field data Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress, Paper No. 2008-01-0526 Detroit, MI
- Transport Canada 2012 Canadian Vehicle Specifications Database Version 2012.2