This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Misfire Detection Technologies in Spark-ignition Engines for Meeting On-Board Diagnostic Regulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
Misfires in SI engines are one of the major causes for increase in vehicle exhaust emissions beyond the regulatory limit. Misfires have a great potential to destroy catalytic converters due to increased exhaust temperatures caused by unburned fuel from the misfired cylinders. It also leads to decrease in engine efficiency and high fuel consumption. Misfires are majorly caused due to unfavorable spark plug temperatures, low ignition energy, fuel system malfunction, improper air-fuel mixture ratio, flame propagation speed, etc. Monitoring of misfire detection in SI engines is an essential requirement of On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) regulations in many countries. This paper compares the conventional and advanced misfire detection technologies in spark-ignition engines, available and under development for meeting the OBD regulations worldwide. It describes the misfire detection principle. Comparison of the methods is done considering system cost, system accuracy in detecting misfire, ease of implementation and conclusions are drawn.
CitationChatterjee, S. and Sivasubrahmaniyan, A., "Comparison of Misfire Detection Technologies in Spark-ignition Engines for Meeting On-Board Diagnostic Regulation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2884, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2884.
- Plapp , G. , Klenk , M. , and Moser , W. Methods of On-Board Misfire Detection SAE Technical Paper 900232 1990 10.4271/900232
- Whiteaper on Measurement and analysis of ionization signal Delphi
- Azzoni , P. , Moro , D. , Porceddu-Cilione , C. , and Rizzoni , G. Misfire Detection in a High-Performance Engine by the Principal Component Analysis Approach SAE Technical Paper 960622 1996 10.4271/960622
- Geveci , M. , Osburn A.W. , and Franchek M.A. An investigation of crankshaft oscillations for cylinder health diagnostics Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2005 19 5 1107 1134
- Tinaut , F.V. et al. Faults Detection in a Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engine From Instantaneous Engine Speed CIMAC International Congress on Combustion Engines 1998 Copenhagen, Denmark
- Osburn , A.W. , Kostek T.M. , and Franchek M.A. Residual generation and statistical pattern recognition for engine misfire diagnostics Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2006 20 8 2232 2258
- Gani , E. and Manzie C. Misfire-misfuel classification using support vector machines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 2007 221 9 1183 1195
- Rizzoni , G. Estimate of indicated torque from crankshaft speed fluctuations: A model for the dynamics of the IC engine IEEE transactions on vehicular technology 1989 38 3 168 179
- Connolly , F.T. and Rizzoni G. Real time estimation of engine torque for the detection of engine misfires Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 1994 116 675
- Rizzoni , G. , Drakunov S. , and Wang Y.Y. On-line estimation of indicated torque in IC engines via sliding mode observers American Control Conference 1995 Seattle, WA 2123 2127
- Kao , M. and Moskwa J.J. Model-based engine fault detection using cylinder pressure estimates from nonlinear observers IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 1994 Lake Buena Vista, FL
- Wang , Y. and Chu F. Real-time misfire detection via sliding mode observer Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2005 19 4 900 912
- Kiencke , U. Engine misfire detection Control engineering practice 1999 7 2 203 208
- Liu , S. , Gu F. , and Ball A. The on-line detection of engine misfire at low speed using multiple feature fusion with fuzzy pattern recognition Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 2002 216 5 391 402
- Gyan , P. , Ginoux , S. , Champoussin , J. , and Guezennec , Y. Crankangle Based Torque Estimation: Mechanistic / Stochastic SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0559 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0559
- Edward v.D. , Paul P , Milin Ignition system with ionization detection US Patent number - 5777216