This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Artificial Neural Network to Optimize the Evacuation Time in an Automotive Vacuum Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
This paper presents the details of the study to optimize and arrive at a design base for a vacuum pump in an automotive engine using resilient back propagation algorithm for Artificial Neural Networking (ANN). The reason for using neural networks is to capture the accuracy of experimental data while saving computational time, so that system simulations can be performed within a reasonable time frame.
Vacuum Pump is an engine driven part. Design and optimization of a vacuum pump in an automotive engine is crucial for development. The NN predicted values had a good correlation with the actual values of tested proto sample. The design optimization by means of this study has served the purpose of generating the data base for future development of different capacity vacuum pumps.
The ANN approach has been applied to automotive vacuum brake for predicting the optimized evacuation time and the power for a vacuum pump of 110 cc capacity with vacuum tank capacity of 3 cc at pressure of 500 mbar. The ANN predictions for the evacuation time and power of the tested vacuum brake yielded a good statistical performance with mean square error of 8.21152 e-3 and regression value between 0.9904 e-01. Comparisons of the ANN predictions and the experimental results demonstrate that to automotive vacuum brake can accurately be modeled using ANNs. Consequently, with the use of ANNs, the evacuation time and power of the brake can easily be determined by performing only a limited number of tests instead of a detailed experimental study, thus saving both time and cost. As a result the proposed NN model has strong potential as a feasible tool for the prediction of evacuation time of a vacuum pump used in automobile brakes.
CitationVijayashree, ., V, G., and Suresh Kumar, J., "Application of Artificial Neural Network to Optimize the Evacuation Time in an Automotive Vacuum Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2864, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2864.
- Hart P. M. Review of Heavy Vehicle Braking Systems Requirements (PBS Requirements) Draft Report 2003
- Maier M. and Muller K. The New and Compact ABS Unit for Passenger Cars SAE Paper No. 950757 1996
- Wellstead P. E. and Pettit N. B. O. L. Analysis and Redesign of an Antilock Brake System Controller IEE Proceedings Control Theory Applications 144 5 1997 413 426 10.1049/ip-cta:19971441
- Nagendiran S R , Subramanian Arun , kumar J Suresh and Sivanantham Ramalingam Designing of Automotive Vacuum Pumps - Development of Mathematical Model for Critical Parameters and Optimization using Artificial Neural Networks SAE 2012-01-0779
- Ulsoy G. and Peng H. Vehicle Control Systems Lecture Notes, ME 568 1997
- Wellstead P. E. Analysis and Redesign of an Antilock Brake System Controller IEEE Proceedings Control Theory Applications 144 5 September 1997 413 426 10.1049/ip-cta:19971441
- Fling R. and Fenton R. A Describing-Function Ap-proach to Antiskid Design IEEE Transactions on Ve-hicular Technology VT-30 3 1981 134 144 10.1109/T-VT.1981.23895
- Yoneda S. , Naitoh Y. and Kigoshi H. Rear Brake Lock-Up Control System of Mitsubishi Starion SAE Paper Washington 1983
- Tabo T. , Ohka N. , Kuraoka H. and Ohba M. Automo-tive Antiskid System Using Modern Control Theory IEEE Proceedings San Francisco 1985 390 395
- Takahashi H. and Ishikawa Y. Anti-Skid Braking Con-trol System Based on Fuzzy Inference U.S. Patent No. 4842342 1989
- Guntur R. and Ouwerkerk H. Adaptive Brake Control System Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 186 68 1972 855 880 10.1243/PIME_PROC_1972_186_102_02
- Mauer G. F. A Fuzzy Logic Controller for an ABS Braking System IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems 3 4 1995 381 388 10.1109/91.481947
- Lennon W. K. and Passino K. M. Intelligent Control for Brake Systems IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 7 2 1999 188 202
- Hella Vacuum pump working manual http://www.marklines.com/img/exhibition/technical_information_hella_vacuum_pumps.pdf
- Lojko B. and Fuchs P. The Control of ASR System in a Car Based on the TMS320F243 DSP Diploma Thesis Dept. of Radio & Electronics Bratislava 2002
- Ganesan V. Internal Combustion Engines Tata McGraw Hill New Delhi 2013
- Hart P. ABS Braking Requirements Hartwood Consulting Pty Ltd Victoria June 2003
- Nagendiran , S. , Sivanantham , R. , and Kumar , J. Improvement of the Performance of Cam-Operated Vacuum Pump for Multi Jet Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1462 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1462
- Nagendiran S R , Subramanian Arun , kumar J Suresh Ramalingam Sivanantham Designing of Automotive Vacuum Pumps - Development of Mathematical Model for Critical Parameters and Optimization using Artificial Neural Networks SAE Paper No. 2012-01-0779
- Vijayashree , Kolla Bhanu Prakash and Ananthan T.V. Training the Neural Network Using Levenberg-Marquardt's Algorithm to Optimize the Evacuation Time in an Automotive Vacuum Pump, RITS ICAEM-2013 2nd International conference on Advancements in Engineering Management 27 28 Feb. 2013 981 985
- Brahma Indranil , He Yongsheng and Rutland Christopher J. Improvement of Neural Network Accuracy for Engine Simulations SAE Paper 2003-01-3227
- Hagan , M.T. and Menjaj , M.B. Training Feedforward Networks with the Marquardt Algorithm IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 5 6 989 993 1994
- Riedmiller , M. and Braun , H. 1993 A Direct Adaptive Method for Faster Backpropagation Learning: The RPROP Algorithm Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks 1993 San Francisco IEEE