This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Modal Parameter Estimation Techniques for Simple Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
Modal analysis is a specialized tool which has been used for many years to reliably estimate various parameters such as natural frequency, mode shape and damping. Since these parameters have direct relevance to the behavior of any component or structure and the resultant vibrations, the methods used for evaluation of these have been taken up as a part of this project. MATLAB is a platform that serves analysis purpose and offers many advantages over dedicated, menu driven systems. Open function assure flexibility and possibility to modify functions for specific needs and also providing traceability and quality assurance. The current paper targets to make a comparative evaluation of various modal parameter estimators using existing MATLAB tools for determining modal parameters for simple structures. FRF measurements on simple structures are carried out and the data is processed using MATLAB run parameter estimators. The computed results are compared and advantages and limitations of the estimators are discussed.
CitationJ, C., Rajamanickam, R., Ramachandran, E., and Karanth, N., "Evaluation of Modal Parameter Estimation Techniques for Simple Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2855, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2855.
- Brown , D. , Allemang , R. , Zimmerman , R. , and Mergeay , M. Parameter Estimation Techniques for Modal Analysis SAE Technical Paper 790221 1979 10.4271/790221
- Richardson Mark. H. , Formmenti David Parameter Estimation From Frequency Measurements Using Rational Fraction Polynomials IMAC Conference 1982 San Jose, California
- Juang J , Pappa R S An Eigen System Realization Algorithm for Modal Parameter Identification and Modal Reduction N85-31212, NASA Langley Research Centre Hampton
- Vold , H. , Kundrat , J. , Rocklin , G. , and Russell , R. A Multi-Input Modal Estimation Algorithm for Mini-Computers SAE Technical Paper 820194 1982 10.4271/820194
- Doebling , S W , Farrar , C R and Cornwell P J Diamond: A Graphical User Interface Toolbox for Comparative Modal Analysis and Damage Identification Sixth International Conference on Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics Southampton, UK 399 412
- Brandt A. , Tuma J , Lago T A New MATLAB Toolbox for Simulation and Parameter Identification of Nonlinear Mechanical Systems 2007 International Modal Analysis Conference Orlando, Florida, USA
- Jambovane , S. , Kalsule , D. , and Athavale , S. Validation of FE Models Using Experimental Modal Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2001-26-0042 2001 10.4271/2001-26-0042