This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Muffler Characteristics on Performance of a Naturally Aspirated SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
With steep increase in fuel prices, there is a strong need for development of better engines with improved performance and emissions. This needs a dedicated effort on engine hardware optimization for lower CO2 levels. Exhaust muffler design is trade-off between noise, backpressure and size/weight. With increase in exhaust muffler volume and simplification of structure there is a corresponding drop observed in exhaust pressures.
Study of such a phenomenon would give an insight to benefits achieved based on changes in muffler volumes/structure. This in a way leads to engine improvement. In this paper it has been shown how exhaust muffler characteristics (size and internal construction) impacts engine performance.
CitationKumar, N., Saroop, A., Kuchhal, A., Chauhan, V. et al., "Effect of Muffler Characteristics on Performance of a Naturally Aspirated SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2834, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2834.
- Munjal ML, “Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers, With Application to Exhaust & Ventilation System Design”
- Engine performance parameters and emissions reduction methods for spark ignition engine SHEHATA M. S. and ABDEL RAZEK S. M.
- Heywood John B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”
- Shah, S., Kuppili, S., Hatti, K., and Thombare, D., “A Practical Approach towards Muffler Design, Development and Prototype Validation,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0021, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-32-0021.
- Cheng, C. and Wu, T., “Exhaust Muffler Design and Analysis Using a Boundary Element Method Based Computer Program,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1661, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-1661.