This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Thermal Performance of Radiator Using 1-D Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
The Technical paper present the mathematical model that predicts the radiator thermal performance curves for different airflow and coolant flow. This model was modeled using the signal library of AMEsim software. The model accepts the inputs of radiator parameters such as Air flow, Ambient temperature, Core size, Tube pitch, FPDM, No of rows, Louver pitch, Fin thickness, Louver angle Tube section data, Tube thickness, Coolant lpm, Max allowable coolant temp. The output of this model is the Radiator Performance Curve. This model is quick tool to work out approximate size of radiator to start system level packaging, Hence the Product Development time can be saved in Radiator Sizing.
CitationSolomon, S., "Prediction of Thermal Performance of Radiator Using 1-D Method," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2810, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2810.
- Achaichia , A. and Cowell , T. A. Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Flat Tube and Louvered Plate Fin Surfaces Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 1 147 157 1988a
- Achaichia , A. and Cowell , T. A. A Finite Difference Analysis of Fully Developed Periodic Laminar Flow in Inclined Louvre Arrays 2 nd U.K. National Heat Transfer Conference Glasgow 1 883 898 1988b
- Chang , Y.-J. and Wang , C.-C. A Generalized Heat Transfer Correlation for Louver Fin Geometry International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 40 3 533 544 1997
- Davenport , C. J. Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Louvered Triangular Ducts Ph.D. thesis Coventry (Lanchester) Polytechnic 1980
- Davenport , C. J. Correlations for Heat Transfer and Flow Friction Characteristic of Louvered Fin AIChE Symposium Series 79 225 19 27 1983
- Emmenthal , K. and Hucho , W. A Rational Approach To Automotive Radiator Systems Design SAE Technical Paper 740088 1974 10.4271/740088
- Holman , J. P. Heat Transfer 7th McGraw-Hill 1992
- Hucho , W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0029-0 1998
- Kays , W. M. and London , A. L. Compact Heat Exchangers 3rd Krieger Publishing Company 1998
- Pervaiz , M. , Brewster , R. , Ross , F. , Bauer , W. et al. Numerical Methodology for Automotive Radiator and Condenser Simulations SAE Technical Paper 971840 1997 10.4271/971840
- Ng Eton Yat-Tuen Vehicle Engine Cooling Systems: Assessment and Improvement of Wind-Tunnel Based Evaluation Methods Thesis RMIT University Australia 2002