This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermo-Mechanical Analysis of the Cylinder Head and Cylinder Block - CAE Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
Offering the most fuel efficient cars to the customer is the biggest challenge for entire auto industry. Increasing engine efficiency and reducing the emissions with higher power is the best way to delight the customers. The demands for high power and better performance have resulted in progressive higher loading on internal components, and are putting challenge for the engine designers and analysts. It is required to discover and implement the most efficient analysis processes to ensure better durability, improved thermal performance and sealing ability of gasket in the main parts of engine during early design phase with keeping focus on development cost.
This paper shows the integrated approach of CFD and structural analysis considering the thermal loading and higher cylinder pressures. The study focuses on the evaluation of Gasoline engine component durability and ensuring the gasket sealing during early design stage to reduce the prototyping cost and time.
CitationKrishnappa, C., Makana, M., and Kulkarni, M., "Thermo-Mechanical Analysis of the Cylinder Head and Cylinder Block - CAE Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2798, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2798.
- Mulemane, A. and Soman, R., “CFD Based Complete Engine Cooling Jacket Development and Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4129, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-4129.
- Kruger, M., Kessler, M., Ataídes, R., de la Rosa Siqueira, C. et al., “Numerical Analysis of Flow at Water Jacket of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0393, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0393.
- Chen, T., Zwick, J., Tripathy, B., and Novak, G., “3D Engine Analysis and MLS Cylinder Head Gaskets Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0663, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0663.
- Mendes, A. and Cardoso, A., “Structural Analysis of the Aluminum Cylinder Head for a High-Speed Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2562, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2562.
- Ghasemi, A., “Cylinder Head High/Low Cycle Fatigue CAE Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1991, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1991.
- FEMFAT Software Manual
- ABAQUS 6.12 Documentation.
- Stephens, R. I., Fatemi, A., Stephens, R. R., and Fuchs, H. O. Metal Fatigue in Engineering, 2000 (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Newyork)
- Cenegal, “Heat and Mass Transfer”
- “Finite Element Based Fatigue calculations