This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of Fatigue Damage of Passenger Commercial Vehicle for Road Load Inputs by Virtual Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
Evaluation of vehicle structural durability is one of the key requirements in design and development process of commercial vehicles. Computer simulations are used to estimate vehicle durability because of its cost advantage and reduction in lead time to launch the product.
The objective of this work is to find the service life of the passenger commercial vehicle (Bus) by calculating cumulative fatigue life in operation under actual road conditions. Chassis and superstructure were considered for this exercise. Measured road load data at vehicle wheel centers were used for performing multi-body simulation in ADAMS to extract load histories at attachment points. Modal transient response analysis is performed using MSC-Nastran with the extracted load time history. Strain based fatigue life analysis is carried out in MSC-Fatigue using modal superposition method (MSM). The estimated chassis and superstructure fatigue life is compared with the physical test results.
CitationP, S., bollishetty, S., and Suryavanshi, V., "Estimation of Fatigue Damage of Passenger Commercial Vehicle for Road Load Inputs by Virtual Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2781, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2781.
- Sathish Kumar , P. , Vikram , S. , Manikandan , M. , and Bollishetty , S. Structural Fatigue Strength Evaluation of Commercial Vehicle Structures by Calculating Damage Due to Road Load Inputs SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0139 2013 10.4271/2013-26-0139
- Farrahi G.H. , and Khalaj A. Estimation of fatigue damage caused by actual roads and maneuvers on proving ground J. of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 14 90 96 2006
- Karaoglu C , and SefaKuralay N Stress analysis of a truck chassis with riveted joints Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 38 12 1115 1130 2002
- Chinnaraj K. , Mangalaramanan Sathya Prasad and Lakshmana Rao C. Experimental Analysis and Quasi-Static Numerical Idealization of Dynamic Stresses on a Heavy Truck Chassis Frame Assembly Applied Mechanics and Materials 13-14 271 280 2008
- Forouzan Mohammad Reza , and Hoseini Rouhollah Dynamic Analysis of a Modified Truck Chassis Int J Advanced Design and Manufacturing Technology 3 4 31 36 2010
- Lee Dong-Chan , and Han Chang-Soo CAE (computer aided engineering) driven durability model verification for the automotive structure development Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 45 324 332 2009
- Dr. Halfpenny Andrew Methods for accelerating dynamic durability tests 9 th International conference on Recent Advance in Structural Dynamics Southampton,UK 2006
- Dr. Dodds colin J. The test engineer's handbook First assosiation with Panatech services Pune 2007
- Happian-Smith , J. An Introduction to Modern Vehicle Design Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. and Butterworth Heinemann Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0596-7 2002
- Gokhale Nitin S et al. Practical finite element analysis First 2008
- MSC / Nastran reference manual
- MSC/Fatigue User manual
- Altair Hyper works 11.0 User Guide