This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Practical Applications of Opposed-Piston Engine Technology to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
Opposed-piston (OP) engines have attracted the interest of the automotive industry in recent years because of their potential for significantly improved fuel economy. Opposed-piston, two-stroke (OP2S) engine technology amplifies this fuel efficiency advantage and offers lower cost and weight due to fewer parts.
While OP engines can help automotive manufacturers comply with current, and future, efficiency standards, there is still work required to prepare the engines for production. This work is mainly related to packaging and durability.
At Achates Power, the OP2S technology is being developed for various applications such as commercial vehicles (heavy-and medium-duty), SUVs, pick-up trucks and passenger cars (i.e. light-duty), military vehicles, large ships and stationary power (generator sets).
Included in this paper is a review of the previously published OP engine efficiency advantages (thermodynamics, combustion and air system) as well as the architecture's historical challenges. Also included is:
- 1An overview of the packaging-related challenges of OP2S engines using opportunities with the dual-crank, Junkers Jumo-style design with power take-out options, vertical engine installation and bore-to-bore distance.
- 2Different design parameters of the OP2S engine and their optimization for various applications.
- 3Details of OP2S engines for various applications, including packaging concepts and performance and emissions results.
These results suggest that the technology is ready to produce an economically and environmentally sustainable OP powertrain-one that is clean, fuel efficient and can fit into existing vehicles, be manufactured in today's engine plants, and run on a variety of fuels.
- Suramya Naik - Achates Power, Inc.
- David Johnson - Achates Power, Inc.
- John Koszewnik - Achates Power, Inc.
- Laurence Fromm - Achates Power, Inc.
- Fabien Redon - Achates Power, Inc.
- Gerhard Regner - Achates Power, Inc.
- Kevin Fuqua - Achates Power, Inc.
- Suramya Naik - Achates Power Inc
- David Johnson - Achates Power Inc
- John Koszewnik - Achates Power Inc
- Laurence Fromm - Achates Power Inc
- Fabien Redon - Achates Power Inc
- Gerhard Regner - Achates Power Inc
- Kevin Fuqua - Achates Power Inc
CitationNaik, S., Johnson, D., Koszewnik, J., Fromm, L. et al., "Practical Applications of Opposed-Piston Engine Technology to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2754, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2754.
- Flint , M.L.S. and Pirault , J.-P. Opposed Piston Engines SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-1800-4 2009
- Herold , R. , Wahl , M. , Regner , G. , Lemke , J. et al. Thermodynamic Benefits of Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2216 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2216
- Regner , G. , Johnson , D. , Koszewnik , J. , Dion , E. et al. Modernizing the Opposed Piston, Two Stroke Engine for Clean, Efficient Transportation SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0114 2013 10.4271/2013-26-0114
- Venugopal , R. , Abani , N. , and MacKenzie , R. Effects of Injection Pattern Design on Piston Thermal Management in an Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2423 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2423
- Kalebjian , C. , Redon , F. , and Wahl , M. Low Emissions and Rapid Catalyst Light-Off Capability for Upcoming Emissions Regulations with an Opposed-Piston, Two-Stroke Diesel Engine Emission Conference 2012
- Johnson , D. , Wahl , M. , Redon , F. , Dion , E. , McIntyre , S. , Regner , G. , and Herold , R. Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Diesel Engine - A Renaissance Symposium on International Automotive Technology (SIAT) Jan 2011
- Regner , G. , Herold , R. , Wahl , M. , Johnson , D. , Redon , F. , Dion , E. , McIntyre , S. , and Callahan , B. The Achates Power Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Engine: Performance and Emissions Results in a Medium-Duty Application SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress Sept. 14 2011
- Lee , P. and Wahl , M. Cylinder Cooling for Improved Durability on an Opposed-Piston Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1215 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1215
- Callahan , B. , Froelund , K. , Wahl , M. Oil Consumption Measurements for a Modern Opposed-Piston Two-Stroke Diesel Engine ASME Technical Paper, ICEF2011-60140 2011
- Teng , H. and Regner , G. Characteristics of Soot Deposits in EGR Coolers SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 2 81 90 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2671
- Heavy-Duty Supplemental Emissions Test (SET) http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/set.php 2010
- Regner , G. Turbocharger Efficiency: An Underappreciated OP2S Advantage http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2013/01/23/turbocharger-efficiency/ 2013
- Regner , G. , Naik , S. Not All Two-Stroke Engines Are Created Equal http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2013/09/27/not-all-two-stroke-engines-are-createdequal/ 2013
- Regner , G. The Achates Power Engine: Low NOx and Superior Efficiency http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2013/02/27/low-nox/ 2013
- Herold , R. Stroke-To-Bore Ratio: A Key to Engine Efficiency http://www.achatespower.com/diesel-engine-blog/2012/04/06/stroke-to-bore/ 2012
- Fuqua , K. , Redon , F. , Shen , H. , Wahl , M. , and Lenski , B. Combustion Chamber Constructions for Opposed-Piston Engines U.S. Patent Application US20110271932
- Ostrowski , G. , Neely , G. , Chadwell , C. , Mehta , D. et al. Downspeeding and Supercharging a Diesel Passenger Car for Increased Fuel Economy SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0704 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0704
- Pohorelsky , L. , Brynych , P. , Macek , J. , Vallaude , P. et al. Air System Conception for a Downsized Two-Stroke Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0831 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0831
- Redon , F. Opposed-Piston Engine for Light-Duty Applications SAE High Efficiency IC Engine Symposium 2013
- Deraad , S. , Fulton , B. , Gryglak , A. , Hallgren , B. et al. The New Ford 6.7L V-8 Turbocharged Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1101 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1101
- Lückert , P. , Schommers , J. , Werner , P. , Roth , T. The New Four-cylinder Diesel Engine for the Mercedes-Benz B-Class November 2011 MTZ