This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Intake Air Dilution with N 2 or CO 2 Gases on the Combustion Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dual fuel diesel engines using compressed natural gas (CNG) are an attractive low polluting application, because natural gas is a clean low CO2 emitting fuel with superior resource availability. In dual fuel diesel engines with CNG as the main fuel the natural gas is supplied from the intake-pipe and the pre-mixture formed in the cylinder is spontaneously ignited by an injected spray of ordinary diesel fuel. Dual fuel engines of this type have the advantages that only limited engine modifications are needed and that low calorie gas fuels such as biogas can be used.
To reduce NOx emissions in the dual fuel operation, the present study conducted the diesel combustion with a setup similar to that used with EGR. To dilute the intake air, the experiments used N2 or CO2 gases which are the major components of EGR. The diluent gas addition ratio was defined as the mass ratio of the supplied diluent to the intake charge which is composed of air and diluent.
The results showed that the trade-off relation between the NOx and smoke emissions can be improved significantly by using N2 or CO2 gas dilution in the dual fuel diesel combustion. Compared with CO2 dilution, the dual fuel operation with N2 dilution was superior in maintaining a higher brake thermal efficiency. The major result is that compared with conventional diesel operation, the dual fuel operation at a 61% CNG supply (energy ratio) with 14.6% N2 addition (mass flow ratio) reduced the NOx and smoke (Opacity concentration) by 69% and 60% respectively, with the decreases in brake thermal efficiency less than 3%.
CitationYoshimoto, Y. and Kinoshita, E., "Influence of Intake Air Dilution with N2 or CO2 Gases on the Combustion Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2691, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2691.
- Dishy , A. , You , T. , Iwashiro , Y. , Nakayama , S. et al. Controlling Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Dual-Fueled with Natural Gas SAE Technical Paper 952436 1995 10.4271/952436
- Shioji , M. , Ishiyama , T. , Ikegami , M. , Mitani , S. , Shibata , H. Performance and Exhaust Emissions in a Natural-Gas Fueled Dual-Fuel Engine Transactions of the JSME, Series B 66 647 2000 1898 1904
- Ogawa , H. , Miyamoto , N. , Li , C. , Nakazawa , S. , Akao , K. Smokeless and low NOx Combustion in a Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine with Induced Natural Gas as the Main Fuel International Journal of Engine Research 4 1 2003 1 9
- Tagai , T. , Ishida , M. , Ueki , H. , and Watanabe , T. Effects of Equivalence Ratio and Temperature of CNG Premixture on Knock Limit in a Dual Fueled Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1934 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1934
- Park , J.S. , Terao , H. Performance Characteristics of a Biogas Cogeneration System Using Supercharging Together with EGR Journal of JSAM 65 6 2003 93 100
- Mizushima , N. , Ito , S. , Kusaka , J. , and Daisho , Y. Improvement of Combustion in a Dual Fuel Natural Gas Engine with Half the Number of Cylinders SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1938 2003 10.4271/2003- 01-1938
- Singh , S. , Krishnan , S.R. , Srinivasan , K.K. , Midkiff , K.C. Effect of Pilot Injection Timing, Pilot Quantity and Intake Charge Conditions on Performance and Emissions for an Advanced Low-Pilot-Ignited Natural Gas Engine International Journal of Engine Research 5 4 2004 329 348
- Jaber , N. , Noguchi , N. Literature Review of Recent Research on Biogas and its Usage in Diesel Engines Journal of JSAM 69 1 2007 89 98
- Kawasaki , K. and Yamane , K. Experimental Study of a Dual-Fuel Diesel Engine with Biodiesel and Low-Calorie Gas Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2026 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2026
- Maji , S. , Pal , A. , and Arora , B. Use of CNG and Diesel in CI Engines in Dual Fuel Mode SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0072 2008 10.4271/2008-28-0072
- Papagiannakis , R. , Hountalas , D. , Rakopoulos , C. , and Rakopoulos , D. Combustion and Performance Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Operating from Low to High Natural Gas Supplement Ratios at Various Operating Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1392 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1392
- Wannatong , K. , Akarapanyavit , N. , Siengsanorh , S. , Aroonsrisopon , T. et al. New Diesel Dual Fuel Concepts: Part Load Improvement SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1797 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1797
- Tomita , E. , Harada , Y. , Kawahara , N. , and Sakane , A. Effect of EGR on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in Supercharged Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engine Ignited with Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1832 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1832
- Roy , M. , Tomita , E. , Kawahara , N. , Harada , Y. et al. Effect of Fuel Injection Parameters on Engine Performance and Emissions of a Supercharged Producer Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1848 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1848
- Aroonsrisopon , T. , Salad , M. , Wirojsakunchai , E. , Wannatong , K. et al. Injection Strategies for Operational Improvement of Diesel Dual Fuel Engines under Low Load Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1855 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1855
- Kinoshita , E. , Ueda , Y. , Yoshimoto , Y. Combustion Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Coconut Oil Methyl Ester as an Ignition Fuel Transactions of the JSME, Series B 75 756 2009 1706 1711
- Yoshimoto , Y. Combustion Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Natural Gas (Study with Fatty Acid Methyl Esters Used as Ignition Fuels) SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0050 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0050
- Yoshimoto , Y. , Kinoshita , E. Combustion Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Natural Gas (Influence of Cetane Number of Ignition Fuel) Proc. of the ASME 2011 Power Conference, Paper No. POWER2011- 55362 2011 1 9
- Tepimonrat , T. , Kamsinla , K. , Wirojsakunchai , E. , Aroonsrisopon , T. et al. Use of Exhaust Valve Timing Advance for High Natural Gas Utilization in Low-Load Diesel Dual Fuel Operation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1767 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1767
- Noipheng , A. , Waitayapat , N. , Aroonsrisopon , T. , Wirojsakunchai , E. et al. Experimental Investigation of Applying Raw Fuel Injection Technique for Reducing Methane in Aftertreatment of Diesel Dual Fuel Engines Operating under Medium Load Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2093 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2093
- Taniguchi , S. , Masubuchi , M. , Kitano , K. , and Mogi , K. Feasibility Study of Exhaust Emissions in a Natural Gas Diesel Dual Fuel (DDF) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1649 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1649
- Yoshimoto , Y. , Kinoshita , E. , Luge , S. , and Ohmura , T. Combustion Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine with Natural Gas (Lower limit of Cetane Number for Ignition of the Fuel) SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 3 1165 1173 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1690
- Yu , R. and Shahed , S. Effects of Injection Timing and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 811234 1981 10.4271/811234
- Machacon , H.T.C. , Shiga , S. , Karasawa , T. , Nakamura , H. Simultaneous Reduction of Soot and NOx by Intake Gas Variation Proceedings of the 6 th International Symposium on Marine Engineering Oct. 23 rd 27 th 2000 307 312
- Li , T. , Izumi , H. , Shudo , T. , Ogawa , H. et al. Characterization of Low Temperature Diesel Combustion with Various Dilution Gases SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0126 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0126
- Tsunemoto , H. and Ishitani , H. The Role of Oxygen in Intake and Exhaust on NO Emission, Smoke and BMEP of a Diesel Engine with EGR System SAE Technical Paper 800030 1980 10.4271/800030
- Shiozaki , T. , Nakajima , H. , Kudo , Y. , Miyashita , A. et al. The Analysis of Combustion Flame Under EGR Conditions in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 960323 1996 10.4271/960323