This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison and Evaluation of Wear, Performance and Emission of Diesel, Karanja Oil Biodiesel and JP-8 in a Military 585 kW CIDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Investigating the impact of Karanja oil biodiesel and JP-8 fuel on diesel engine performance, emission and wear are very important for military track and wheeled vehicles due to their great potential as alternative fuels. In the present study, a military 585 kW CIDI engine was fuelled and tested with diesel, Karanja oil biodiesel and JP-8 respectively. The performances of fuels were evaluated in terms of brake horse power, specific fuel consumption, brake specific energy consumption, brake mean effective pressure, thermal efficiency and heat release rates. The emission of carbon monoxide (CO), unburnt hydrocarbon (UHC), and oxides of nitrogen NOx with the three fuels were also compared. Both Karanja oil, after transesterification and JP-8 exhibit the properties (density, viscosity and calorific value) within acceptable limits of ASTM standard. Performance of both JP-8 and pure Karanja oil biodiesel were slightly lower than diesel. Emissions of CO and UHC were found lower with both Karanja oil biodiesel and JP-8 as compared to diesel fuel. However, only JP-8 fuel had lower NOx emission whereas Karanja oil biodiesel had 10% higher NOx emission. The engine wear was also tested after a 100 hours run.
CitationPandey, A. and Nandgaonkar, M., "Comparison and Evaluation of Wear, Performance and Emission of Diesel, Karanja Oil Biodiesel and JP-8 in a Military 585 kW CIDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2658, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2658.
- Kumar , C. , Gajendra Babu , M. , and Das , L. Experimental Investigations on a Karanja Oil Methyl Ester Fueled DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0238 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0238
- Pramanik , K. Properties and use of Jatropha Curcas Oil and Diesel Fuel Blends in Compression Ignition Engine Renewable Energy 28 239 248 2003
- Srivastava , P.K. , and Verma , M. Methyl Ester of Karanja Oil as an Alternative, Renewable Source Energy Fuel 2007.08.018 2007
- Agarwal , D. , and Agarwal , A.K. Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Jatropha Oil (preheated and blends) in a Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine Applied Thermal Engineering 27 2314 2323 2007
- Agarwal , A.K. , and Rajamanoharan , K. Experimental Investigations of Performance and Emissions of Karanja Oil and its Blends in a Single Cylinder Agricultural Diesel Engine Applied Energy 86 106 112 2009
- Babu , A. and Devaradjane , G. Vegetable Oils And Their Derivatives As Fuels For CI Engines: An Overview SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0767 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0767
- Agarwal , A.K. , and Das , L.M. Biodiesel Development and Characterization for Use as a Fuel in Compression Ignition Engine Transactions of the ASME 123 440 447 2001
- Pandey , A. and Nandgaonkar , M. Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Esterified Karanja Oil Biodiesel on Lubricating Oil and Wear of a 780 hp Military CIDI Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 273 279 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1521
- Last , R. , Krüger , M. , and Dürnholz , M. Emissions and Performance Characteristics of a 4-Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 950054 1995 10.4271/950054
- Canakci , M. Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Biodiesel from Soybean Oil Proc IMechE 219 Part D: J Automobile Engineering 2005
- Kidoguchi , Y. , Yang , C. , and Miwa , K. Effects of Fuel Properties on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1851 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1851
- Yost , D. , Montalvo , D. , and Frame , E. U.S. Army Investigation of Diesel Exhaust Emissions Using JP-8 Fuels with Varying Sulfur Content SAE Technical Paper 961981 1996 10.4271/961981
- Fernandes , G. , Fuschetto , J. , Filipi , Z. , Assanis , D. , and McKee , H. Impact of Military JP-08 Fuel on Heavy - Duty Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions Proc.ImechE 221 Part D: J.Automobile Engineering, Special Issue Paper 957 2007
- Kotsiopoulos , P. , Yfantis , E. , and Hountalas , D. Comparative Results of the Use of Diesel Fuel and Jp8 Aviation Fuel on a Di Diesel Engine 1997