This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Low Temperature EGR and Low Compression Ratio on NOx Reduction for EU6 Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The NOx reduction by low temperature EGR and low compression ratio were investigated to develop EU6 diesel engine for heavy weighted SUV vehicle. A low temperature EGR is to reduce EGR gas temperature by cold EGR coolant, thus it can decrease NOx at same PM emission. A low compression ratio can improve NOx due to low combustion temperature. These two methods have advantages in practical application, because it could be easily adapted to conventional diesel engine. On the other hand, some possible problem such as EGR fouling and poor cold start-ability might be caused when EGR coolant temperature and compression ratio are reduced too much. It is necessary to find the NOx reduction effect without these abnormal phenomenons.
The results showed that low temperature EGR made more remarkable NOx reduction rate at low load condition where had low EGR flow. It could decrease NOx by around 4% at NEDC 14 modal points. Considering cold starting duration, COVidle and production deviation, the low compression ratio was determined as 15.2 in this study. Low compression ratio of 15.2 could reduce NOx by about 5%, when EGR rate and main timing were adjusted to keep same PM emission.
CitationKim, Y., Park, C., Kim, J., and Min, B., "The Effect of Low Temperature EGR and Low Compression Ratio on NOx Reduction for EU6 Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2644, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2644.
- Dohle , U. and Eimers-Klose , D. Clean Diesels - Future Development Trends for Fuel Injection and Exhaust Gas Treatment Systems 2006
- Di-Penta , D. , Bencherif , K. , and Le-Morvan , P. System Approach for NOx Reduction: Double LNT Diesel After-Treatment Architecture SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1300 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1300
- Bauer S. , Zhang H. , Pfeifer A. , Wenzlawski K. Diesel Engine for Passenger Car and EU6: Entirely System Approach for Development of Fuel Injection System, Air/EGR Path and Emission Aftertreatment Int. Wiener Motor symposium 2007
- Herzog , P. , Weissbaeck , M. , Herrmuth , H. , and Schüssler , M. The Diesel SUV - Pushing Back Emission Frontiers SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-010 2007 10.4271/2007-26-010
- Hasegawa , R. and Yanagihara , H. HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0745 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0745
- Swami Nathan , S. , Mallikarjuna , J. , and Ramesh , A. An Experimental Study Using Single and Multiple Injection Strategies in a Diesel Fuelled HCCI Engine with a Common Rail System SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0028 2009 10.4271/2009-26-0028
- Maiboom , A. , Tauzia , X. , Shah , S. , and Hétet , J. Experimental Study of an LP EGR System on an Automotive Diesel Engine, compared to HP EGR with respect to PM and NOx Emissions and Specific Fuel Consumption SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 597 610 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0138
- Pacaud , P. , Perrin , H. , and Laget , O. Cold Start on Diesel Engine: Is Low Compression Ratio Compatible with Cold Start Requirements? SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 831 849 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1310
- Ogawa , H. , Miyamoto , N. , Kawabe , T. , and Tosaka , S. Characteristics of Unburned Hydrocarbon Emissions in a Low Compression Ratio DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1526 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1526
- Beatrice , C. , Avolio , G. , Del Giacomo , N. , and Guido , C. Compression Ratio Influence on the Performance of an Advanced Single-Cylinder Diesel Engine Operating in Conventional and Low Temperature Combustion Mode SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1678 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1678
- MacMillan , D. , La Rocca , A. , Shayler , P. , Murphy , M. et al. The Effect of Reducing Compression Ratio on the Work Output and Heat Release Characteristics of a DI Diesel under Cold Start Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 794 803 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1306
- Kim Y. , Park C. , Kim J. , Min B. A Study on Low Temperature EGR and Low Compression Ratio for Diesel EU6 Engine Development KSAE12-A0013
- Garcia , J. Exhaust Gas Condensate Corrosion Test on Low Pressure Cooling System of Aluminum Brazed EGR, ACAC and WCAC SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1947 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1947
- Avolio , G. , Beatrice , C. , Giacomo , N. , Guido , C. et al. Effects of Highly Cooled EGR on Modern Diesel Engine Performance at Low Temperature Combustion Condition SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0014 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0014