This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Optimizing Calibration of Engine Driveability on the Dynamic Powertrain Test Bed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine calibration on the powertrain test bed with transient mode is proposed with dynamic powertrain test bed having low inertia dynamometer. Automated ECU (Engine Control Unit) calibration system is completed with the combination of experimental design software, powertrain test bed, evaluation tools and their electrical interfaces. The process is composed up of the system interface definition, test design using DoE skill, test proceedings by step sequence of connecting systems, measured data collecting, mathematical model and optimization result extraction at the end. All the processes are automated by interfaces between the systems. Acceleration surge is minimized by proposed process by optimizing combustion control labels and tip in driveability is maximized by manipulating torque filter labels of EMS (Engine Management System) logic. Their detailed steps from the problem definition to the verification test results of improved design with vehicle test are presented. The validation of this methodology is proven by not only good correlation between bench test and vehicle test but also better engine acceleration surge and tip in driveability.
CitationYoo, J., Lee, H., Jang, J., Hwang, O. et al., "Automated Optimizing Calibration of Engine Driveability on the Dynamic Powertrain Test Bed," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2588, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2588.
- Yoo , J. , Pfeiffer , K. , and Kang , K. Front Loading NVH Test on the Highly Dynamic Powertrain Test Bed SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1512 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1512
- Hochschwarzer , H. , Kriegler , W. , and Schon , M. Fully Automatic Determination and Optimization of Engine Control Characteristics SAE Technical Paper 920255 1992 10.4271/920255
- List , H. and Schoeggl , P. Objective Evaluation of Vehicle Driveability SAE Technical Paper 980204 1998 10.4271/980204
- Schöggl , P. , Koegeler , H. , Gschweitl , K. , Kokal , H. et al. Automated EMS Calibration using Objective Driveability Assessment and Computer Aided Optimization Methods SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0849 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0849
- Ramschak , E. , Schoeggl , P. , Gallacher , A. , Burstolin , G. ATA Conference, 05/01; Florence, CAMEO and DRIVE - New Software Tools for the Calibration of Engine Control Units at the Test Bench
- Zloklikovits , M. , Ebner , Th. , Pollak , B. , Beidl , Ch. Automated Shift Quality Calibration on Chassis Dyno Transmission Conference 2007
- Albers , A. , Zingel , C. , Zehetner , J. , and Meitz , K. Influence of Low-Frequency Powertrain-Vibrations on Driveability-Assessments SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1419 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1419
- Montgomery , D. C. Design and Analysis of Experiments 5 th Wiley New York 2001
- Germann , S. , and Abler G. From Road to Rig: Vehicle Simulation on Powertrain Test Beds Including Wheel Slip JSAE No. 20015306 2001
- Pfeiffer , K. High-Dynamic Powertrain Test Bed - The Extension to a Chassis Roller and Roadway Tests GPC Vaals June 2008
- Pfeiffer , K. Frontloading - Why do we need Simulation and highly dynamic Test Beds? GPC Munich 2010