This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Reduction Potential by Means of High Boost and Injection Pressure at Low- and Mid-Load for a Common Rail Diesel Engine under High EGR Rates
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The emission reduction potential of high boost and high injection pressures was investigated on a 4-cylinder small bore diesel engine at high rates of exhaust gas recirculation. For this reason an external boosting system was built up, which allowed to generate the desired boost pressure independent from the engine's operating point. In order to simulate conditions comparable to a real turbocharged engine, also the influence of the turbine on the exhaust back pressure was considered. The whole measurement campaign was carried out at two load points (low- and mid-load), which represent characteristic engine operating points of the Urban Driving Cycle (UDC).
On the one hand could be shown, that there is an enormous potential in the reduction of particulate matter (PM) up to 75 % and of carbon monoxide (CO) up to 15 % at the mid-load point by increasing the boost pressure. In combination with a high injection pressure the PM emissions could be further reduced up to 95 % compared to a single-stage turbocharged engine. However the increase in boost pressure resulted in a slight disadvantage in the emissions of unburned hydrocarbons (HC).
On the other hand the increase in boost pressure resulted only in a disadvantage in the PM emissions up to 65 % at the low-load point. This deterioration could however be compensated by increasing the injection pressure, so that a total reduction in the PM emissions up to 80 % was achieved.
The CO emissions could be reduced up to 35 % by increasing the boost pressure with a simultaneous advantage in the HC emissions of about 10 %.
All results were achieved without a disadvantage in the brake specific fuel consumption.
CitationBraun, T., Rabl, H., and Mayer, W., "Emission Reduction Potential by Means of High Boost and Injection Pressure at Low- and Mid-Load for a Common Rail Diesel Engine under High EGR Rates," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2541, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2541.
- Richtlinie des Rates vom 20 März 1970 zur Angleichung der Rechtsvorschriften der Mitgliedstaaten über Maßnahmen gegen die Verunreinigung der Luft durch Emissionen von Kraftfahrzeugen 20 11 2006
- Maiboom , A. , Tauzia , X. , Hétet , J. Experimental study of various effects of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on combustion and emissions of an automotive direct injection diesel engine Energy 33 1 2008
- Noehre , C. , Andersson , M. , Johansson , B. , and Hultqvist , A. Characterization of Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3412 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3412
- Colban , W. , Miles , P. , and Oh , S. Effect of Intake Pressure on Performance and Emissions in an Automotive Diesel Engine Operating in Low Temperature Combustion Regimes SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4063 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4063
- Kastner , O. , Atzler , F. et al. Evaluation of injection strategies for passenger car Diesel engines to meet EU6 legislation limits THIESEL, Conference on Thermoand Fluid Dynamic processes in DIesel Engines 2008
- Nehmer , D. and Reitz , R. Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions SAE Technical Paper 940668 1994 10.4271/940668
- Tow , T. , Pierpont , D. , and Reitz , R. Reducing Particulate and NOx Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 940897 1994 10.4271/940897
- Kastner , O. , Atzler , F. et al. Advantages of sophisticated injection strategies in diesel engines THIESEL 2010, Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 2010
- Mingfa , Y. , Hu , W. , Zunqing , Z. , and Yan , Y. Experimental Study of Multiple Injections and Coupling Effects of Multi-Injection and EGR in a HD Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2807 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2807
- Pischinger , S. , Becker , M. et al. Reduktionspotential für Ruß und Kohlenmonoxid bei modernen Pkw-DI-Dieselmotoren MTZ 65 2004 11 916 923
- Han , M. , Assanis , D.N. , Bohac , S.V. Sources of Hydrocarbon Emissions from Low-Temperature Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion from a Common Rail Direct Injection Diesel Engine Combustion Science and Technology 181 3 2009
- Desantes , J. , Arrègle , J. , López , J. , and García , A. A Comprehensive Study of Diesel Combustion and Emissions with Post-injection SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0915 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0915
- Bobba , M. , Musculus , M. , and Neel , W. Effect of Post Injections on In-Cylinder and Exhaust Soot for Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 496 516 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0612
- Desantes , J. , Bermudez , V. , Garcia , A. , Linares , W. et al. An Investigation of Particle Size Distributions with Post Injection in DI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1379 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1379
- Bergstrand , P. and Denbratt , I. Diesel Combustion with Reduced Nozzle Orifice Diameter SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2010 2001 10.4271/2001-01-2010
- Marčič , M. Optimization of the Diesel Engine Injection Nozzle SAE Technical Paper 932467 1993 10.4271/932467
- Su , T. , Chang , C. , Reitz , R. , Farrell , P. et al. Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on Spray SMD and D.I. Emissions SAE Technical Paper 952360 1995 10.4271/952360
- Su , T. , Farrell , P. , and Nagarajan , R. Nozzle Effect on High Pressure Diesel Injection SAE Technical Paper 950083 1995 10.4271/950083
- Pierpont , D. and Reitz , R. Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D.I. Diesel Emissions and Performance SAE Technical Paper 950604 1995 10.4271/950604
- Desantes , J. , Arrègle , J. , López , J. , and Hermens , S. Experimental characterization of outlet flow for different diesel nozzle geometries SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2120 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2120
- Tsunemoto , H. , Montajir , R. , Ishitani , H. , Hayashi , T. et al. The Influence of Pressure in the Nozzle Sac and Needle Lift on Fuel Spray Behavior and HC Emissions in DI Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3491 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3491
- Gavaises , M. and Andriotis , A. Cavitation Inside Multi-hole Injectors for Large Diesel Engines and Its Effect on the Near-nozzle Spray Structure SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1114 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1114
- Payri , F. , Arrègle , J. , López , J. , and Hermens , S. Effect of Cavitation on the Nozzle Outlet Flow, Spray and Flame Formation in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1391 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1391
- Uchida , N. , Daisho , Y. , Saito , T. , and Sugano , H. Combined Effects of EGR and Supercharging on Diesel Combustion and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 930601 1993 10.4271/930601
- Wakisaka , Y. , Hotta , Y. , Inayoshi , M. , Nakakita , K. et al. Emissions Reduction Potential of Extremely High Boost and High EGR Rate for an HSDI Diesel Engine and the Reduction Mechanisms of Exhaust Emissions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 611 623 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1189
- Aoyagi Y. , Osada H. et al. Diesel Combustion and Emission Study using High Boost and High Injection Pressure in a Single Cylinder Engine (second report)-Effects of Broad and High EGR Ratio on NOx and PM Emissions Journal of JSAE 36 5 59 64 2005
- Daisho Y. , Uchida N. et al. Effects of Supercharging and EGR on Diesel Combustion and Emissions International Symposium COMODIA 94 1994
- Kang , J. , Lee , J. , Song , H. , and Lee , D. Enhancing Power Density with Two-Stage Turbochargers SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0709 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0709
- Adachi , T. , Aoyagi , Y. , Kobayashi , M. , Murayama , T. et al. Effective NOx Reduction in High Boost, Wide Range and High EGR Rate in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1438 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1438
- Kobayashi , M. , Aoyagi , Y. , Adachi , T. , Murayama , T. et al. Effective BSFC and NOx Reduction on Super Clean Diesel of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine by High Boosting and High EGR Rate SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0369 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0369
- Nitta , J. , Minato , A. , and Shimazaki , N. Performance Evaluation of Three-Stage Turbocharging System for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0374 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0374
- Dronniou , N. , Lejeune , M. , Balloul , I. , and Higelin , P. Combination of High EGR Rates and Multiple Injection Strategies to Reduce Pollutant Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3726 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3726
- Atzler , F. , Weigand , A. , Rotondi , R. , Kastner , O. et al. Emissions reduction potential of high EGR rates in D.I. Diesel engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0024 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0024
- VDI-Wärmeatlas 8 Springer Verlag 1997
- Ladommatos , N. , Abdelhalim , S. , Zhao , H. , and Hu , Z. Effects of EGR on Heat Release in Diesel Combustion SAE Technical Paper 980184 1998 10.4271/980184
- Singh , I. , Zhong , L. , Lai , M. , Henein , N. et al. Effect of Nozzle hole Geometry on a HSDI Diesel Engine-Out Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0704 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0704
- Pickett , L.M. , Idicheria , C.A Effects of Ambient Temperature and Density on Soot Formation under High-EGR Conditions THIESEL 2006