This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Effects Study with Small (<19kW) Spark-Ignited Off-Road Equipment Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper covers work performed for the California Air Resources Board and the United States Environmental Protection Agency by Southwest Research Institute. Emission measurements were made on nine types of off-road equipment with small (<19kW) spark-ignited engines including handheld and non-handheld equipment utilizing oxygenated and non-oxygenated fuels. Emission data was produced to augment ARB and EPA's off-road emission inventory. It was intended that this program provide ARB and EPA with emission test results they require for atmospheric modeling.
The paper describes the equipment and engines tested, test procedures, emissions sampling methodologies, and emissions analytical techniques. Fuels used in the study are described, along with the emissions characterization results. The fuel effects on exhaust emissions and operation due to ethanol content and fuel components is compared.
CitationCarroll, J., Peterson, A., and Caffrey, C., "Fuel Effects Study with Small (<19kW) Spark-Ignited Off-Road Equipment Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2517, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2517.
- Carroll , J.N , Timmons , S. A. Ethanol Evaluation of Nonroad Engines Final Report prepared for Work Assignments 1-07, 2-07 and 3-07 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency December 2010
- Carroll , J.N. Off-Road Equipment Emissions Testing Program Final Report prepared for California Air Resources Board May 2013
- Chow J.C. ; Watson , J.G. ; Crow , D. ; Lowenthal , D.H. ; Merrifield , T.M Comparison of IMPROVE and NIOSH Carbon Measurements Aerosol Science Technology 2001 34 23 34
- Peterson , M. R. , Richards , M. H. Thermal-optical transmittance analysis for organic, elemental, carbonate, total carbon, and OCX2 in PM 2.5 by the EPA/NIOSH method Proceedings, Symposium on Air Quality Measurement Methods and Technology Air & Waste Management Association Pittsburgh, PA 83-1 83-19 2002
- Telephone conference with EPA
- White , J. , Carroll , J. , Hare , C. , and Lourenco , J. Emission Factors for Small Utility Engines SAE Technical Paper 910560 1991 10.4271/910560