This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Real-Time Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a Diesel Engine for Passenger Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emission regulations and fuel economy regulations are becoming more severe simultaneously, and they give much issue for automotive diesel R&D society. Moreover, emission test cycles are getting more tough transient conditions, like as WLTP. To meet the emission regulations in this trend, in-cylinder combustion requires more precise control. Designing hardware robustly and improving controllable are possible solutions to accomplish the precise combustion control. On the other hand, combustion control based on in-cylinder pressure signal is helpful to control in-cylinder combustion directly. Combustion control using in-cylinder pressure signal is also known to be useful to reducing engine-by-engine exhaust emissions variation due to the manufacturing tolerance, variation of fuel specification and deterioration of engine component during the whole lifetime. In this paper, the main components of combustion control algorithm are presented, especially focused on the control algorithm coordinator which governs entire control algorithm.
Combustion control algorithm based on the in-cylinder pressure is composed of combustion analyzer, combustion control algorithm and control algorithm coordinator. Combustion analysis algorithm analyzes in-cylinder pressure signal, and it calculates MFB50, IMEP and in-cylinder peak pressure in real-time. Combustion control algorithm controls the main injection timing and duration to control the MFB50, IMEP and maximum in-cylinder pressure. Control algorithm coordinator governs entire control algorithm, it monitors the operating condition of vehicle and external conditions. Control algorithm give orders to the every component in entire algorithm whether operate or not. The control algorithm is demonstrated at engine test bench test and vehicle test.
CitationYu, S., Han, K., Nam, K., Choi, D. et al., "Development of Real-Time Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a Diesel Engine for Passenger Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2513, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2513.
- Diesel Net Emission Standards; Summary of worldwide engine emission standards http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/ Apr. 2013
- Punater , A. , Ripley , G. and Schten , K. Controller for Rapid Development of Advanced Mode Combustion Algorithm using Cylinder Pressure Feedback 2008 Convergence Transportation Electronics Association 2008
- Op de Beeck , J. , Thompson , J. , and Booth , N. Upcoming Emission Regulations for Passenger Cars : Impact on SCR System Requirements and Developments SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1072 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1072
- Bonnel , P. , Weiss , M. , Provenza , A. In-Use Emissions Requirements in the New and Future European Motor Vehicle Emissions Regulations European Commission - Joint Research Center (JRC) http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/ SUN Conference Detroit September 2011
- Willems , F. , Doosje , E. , Engels , F. , and Seykens , X. Cylinder Pressure-Based Control in Heavy-Duty EGR Diesel Engines Using a Virtual Heat Release and Emission Sensor SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0564 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0564
- Schnorbus , T. , Pischinger , S. , Körfer , T. , Lamping , M. et al. Diesel Combustion Control with Closed-Loop Control of the Injection Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0651 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0651
- Audet , A. and Koch , C. Actuator Comparison for Closed Loop Control of HCCIC Combustion Timing SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1135 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1135
- Yu , S. , Song , H. , Min , K. , Choi , H. et al. Development of Engine Control Using the In-Cylinder Pressure Signal in a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1418 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1418
- State of California OBD II Regulations and Rulemaking http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/obdregs.htm Apr. 2013
- Pipitone , E. , Beccari , A. , and Beccari , S. Reliable TDC position determination: a comparison of different thermodynamic methods through experimental data and simulations SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0059 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0059
- Kim , K. and Kim , S. Measurement of Dynamic TDC in SI Engines Using Microwave Sensor, Proximity Probe and Pressure Transducers SAE Technical Paper 891823 1989 10.4271/891823
- Pipitone , E. , Beccari , A. , and Beccari , S. The Experimental Validation of a New Thermodynamic Method for TDC Determination SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0052 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0052