This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electromechanical Clutch Actuator: Design, Analysis and Experiments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the aim of producing innovative clutch actuation mechanisms for automotive transmissions, we are investigating a design based on power screws. The design strives to improve clutch actuation technology and minimize energy consumption by maintaining clutch lock-up independent of an external energy source. The system consists of a lead screw shaft-and-nut assembly, a clutch apply-plate, a set of wet clutch disks and a brushless DC motor. The clutch actuation assembly is separated from the clutch-pack via thrust bearings, which allows the use of a motor, while reducing the inertial load imposed by the conventional clutch-pack. A prototype of the design was fabricated and installed on a testbed, to mimic the installation of the actuator to replace the hydraulic components. A standard 12-disk clutch-pack of an automatic transmission was used within the apparatus. The formulation of the mathematical model of the entire testbed is described in this paper. The clutch-pack stiffness is modeled as a hardening spring, to account for its elastostatic behavior. The simulated response of the model was compared to its experimental counterpart, which allowed for a rough estimate of the model parameters. Compressive force testing of the apparatus using a load cell is included.
|Technical Paper||A Fuel Efficient Automatic Four-Speed Transmission for Light Trucks|
|Technical Paper||Pump Noise Reduction Using Shainin Statistical Engineering Methods|
|Technical Paper||Automotive Synchronizer with Asymetric Toothing|
CitationChopra, V., Smith, A., and Angeles, J., "Electromechanical Clutch Actuator: Design, Analysis and Experiments," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2496, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2496.
- Moon, S. E., Kim, M. S., Yeo, H., Kim, H. S. et al., “Design and implementation of clutch-by-wire system for automated manual transmissions,” International Journal of Vehicle Design, 36(1), 83-100, 2004.
- Treder, M., and, Woernle, C., “Simulation and experimental validation of the dynamic behavior of an electromechanically actuated multiple-disk clutch,” PAMM, 4(1), 171-172, 2004.
- Yao, J., Chen, L., Yin, C., Shu, J. et al., “Modeling of a Wedge Clutch in an Automatic Transmission,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0186, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0186.
- Kim, J., and Choi, S. B., “Design and modeling of a clutch actuator system with self-energizing mechanism,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 16(5), 953-966, 2011.
- Line, C., Manzie, C., and Good, M., “Control of an Electromechanical Brake for Automotive Brake-By-Wire Systems with an Adapted Motion Control Architecture,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2050, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2050.
- Hoseinnezhad, R., Bab-Hadiashar, A., and, Rocco, T., “Real-time clamp force measurement in electromechanical brake calipers,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 57(2), 770-777, 2008.
- Jo, C., Hwang, S., and Kim, H., “Clamping-force control for electromechanical brake”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 59(7), 3205-3212, 2010.
- Xu, W., and King, T., “Flexure hinges for piezoactuator displacement amplifiers: flexibility, accuracy, and stress considerations,” Precision Engineering, 19(1), 4-10, 1998.
- Thornley, J. K., Preston, M. E., and, King, T. G., “A fast electro-mechanical clutch element using a piezoelectric multilayer actuator,” presented at IEE Colloquium In Robot Actuators, 1991.
- Neelakantan, V. A., Washington, G. N., and, Bucknor, N. K., “Model predictive control of a two stage actuation system using piezoelectric actuators for controllable industrial and automotive brakes and clutches,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 19(7), 845-857, 2008.
- Juvinall, R.C., and Marshek, K. M., “Fundamentals of Machine Component Design,” John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, N.Y., 2000.
- Gardiner, M., “The superellipse: a curve that lies between the ellipse and the rectangle,” Sci. Am., Vol. 21, pp. 222-234, 1965.
- Armstrong-Hélouvry, B., “Control of Machines with Friction,” Kluwer Acadamic Publishers, Massachusetts, USA, 1991.
- Angeles, J., Dynamic Response of Linear Mechanical Systems. Modeling, Analysis and Simulation, Springer, New York, 2011.
- Chopra, V., Zargarbashi, S.H.H., and Angeles, J., “Parameter Identification of the Testbed of a Novel Gearless Pitch-Roll Wrist”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, accepted for publication, 2013.