This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ramifications of Test Track Curves On Aerodynamic Prediction for Tractor Trailer Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Comparison of computation fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis of physical testing on curved test tracks highlights that simplifications in both methods can lead to significant error in predicting real world fuel economy performance for heavy duty tractor/trailer vehicles. The importance of understanding the differences in and the accuracy of these test methods have increased recently due to North American greenhouse gas (GHG) regulations and similar developments in other regions requiring manufacturers to assess aerodynamic performance of nearly every tractor sold. This paper discusses lessons learned in enhancing the accuracy of CFD and track predictions of real world aero performance by quantifying the effects of test track curves and challenging simplifying assumptions.
|Technical Paper||Transit Bus Fuel Economy Research|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Cooling System Metallic Caps and Filler Necks|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Bus Duct System for Optimum Cooling Performance|
CitationMihelic, R. and Ellis, M., "Ramifications of Test Track Curves On Aerodynamic Prediction for Tractor Trailer Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2460, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2460.
- Committee to Review the 21st Century Truck Partnership, Phase 2, Board on Energy and Environmental Systems, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences, National Research Council of the National Academies Review Of The 21st Century Truck Partnership, Second Report The National Academies Press Washington, D.C. 13:978-0-309-22247-1 2012 10: 0-309-22247-8
- United States Environmental Protection Agency About SmartWay Opportunities for Equipment/Heavy-Duty Vehicle Manufacturers http://www.epa.gov/smartway/manufacturers/index.htm 2013
- United States Environmental Protection Agency Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles Federal Register 76 179 57415 September 15 2011
- United States Environmental Protection Agency National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Final Rulemaking to Establish Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles Regulatory Impact Analysis EPA-420-R-11-901 August 2011
- Leuschen , J. and Cooper , K. Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reducing Devices for Tractor- Trailers SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3456 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3456
- Heinecke , M. , Beedy , J. , Horrigan , K. , and Sengupta , R. Aerodynamic Study of a Production Tractor Trailer Combination using Simulation and Wind Tunnel Methods SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2040 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2040
- Truck Manufacturers Association Test, Evaluation, and Demonstration of Practical Devices/Systems to Reduce Aerodynamic Drag of Tractor/Semitrailer Combination Unit Trucks 2007
- McCallen , R. , Salari , K. , Ortega , J. , Castellucci , P. et al. DOE Project on Heavy Vehicle Aerodynamic Drag U.S. Department of Energy by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344. UCRL-TR-227076 2007
- Pointer , W. , Sofu , T. , and Weber , D. Development of Guidelines for the Use of Commercial CFD in Tractor- Trailer Aerodynamic Design SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3513 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3513
- Kotapati , R. , Keating , A. , Kandasamy , S. , Duncan , B. et al. The Lattice-Boltzmann-VLES Method for Automotive Fluid Dynamics Simulation, a Review SAE Technical Paper 2009-26-0057 2009 10.4271/2009- 26-0057
- Horrigan , K. , Duncan , B. , Keating , A. , Gupta , A. et al. Aerodynamic Simulations of a Generic Tractor-Trailer: Validation and Analysis of Unsteady Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2612 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2612
- Pointer , W. Evaluation of Commercial CFD Code Capabilities for Prediction of Heavy Vehicle Drag Coefficients AIAA-2004-2254
- Wood , R. A Review of Reynolds Number Effects on the Aerodynamics of Commercial Ground Vehicles SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 2 628 639 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2045