This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Braking Performance Using Hardware in the Loop Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The new RSDII (Reduced Stopping Distance, phase 2) regulation creates an increased emphasis by the heavy truck industry to ensure that brake systems are properly chosen and optimized. This regulation has led to vehicles being fitted with much more powerful brakes. However, despite the intent of these new brakes to provide larger braking forces for shorter stopping distances, the performance of vehicles is still limited by the maximum friction coefficient between the vehicle's tires and the road. In order to get the most out of these new brakes, it is essential that the entirety of the vehicle be taken into account. With the use of a hardware-in-the-loop simulation tool, this paper will present stopping data predictions from a variety of vehicles of varying brake torque and wheelbase. It will be shown how these factors change the way a vehicle behaves under panicked stopping situations.
CitationNiglas, P., "An Analysis of Braking Performance Using Hardware in the Loop Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2352, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2352.
- Weiqiang , Z. , Zong , C. , Zheng , H. , Wang , H. et al. Integrated HIL Test and Development System for Pneumatic ABS/EBS ECU of Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2031 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2031
- Chan , B. Evaluation of Full and Partial Stability Systems on Tractor Semi Trailer Using Hardware-in-the- Loop Simulation SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 3 1 22 31 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1902
- Chan , B. and Pandy , A. Sensor Fusion as the Key in a Unified and Robust Commercial Vehicle Driver Assistance System SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 2 559 570 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2012
- Gietelink , Olaf , Ploeg Jeroen , De Schutter Bart , and Verhaegen Michel Development of advanced driver assistance systems with vehicle hardware-in-the-loop simulations Vehicle System Dynamics 44 7 569 590 2006 10.1080/00423110600563338
- Chen , C. , Wagner , G. , Pace , M. , and Rogness , T. Prediction of Heavy Truck Stopping Distance and Vehicle Behavior using Real-time HIL and SIL Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2604 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2604
- Chan , B. , Jensen , W. , and Macnamara , J. Development of a Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation of a Tractor- Trailer Combination Vehicle with B-Double Trailers SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2027 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2027
- Air Brake Systems FMVSS 121 571.121 2012