This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Efficiency of Digital Hydraulic Valve Control Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydraulic systems are widely used in working actions of mobile machines. They offer good power to weight ratio, robustness and relatively good controllability. However, there has been growing interest on the energy efficiency of such machines during recent years. Load sensing proportional valve control is a typical solution for multi-actuator systems leaving a significant margin for improvement of energy efficiency. Digital hydraulic valve system enables independent metering and reduces losses significantly without a need of complete redesign of the hydraulic system of such machine. Digital hydraulic valve system consists of parallel connected on/off-valves and offers deterministic operation which is crucial for successful implementation of independent metering.
Four different digital hydraulic valve control approaches are analyzed in the paper: four-edge-control, four-edge control with pressurized tank line, five-edge-control and six-edge-controlled three-chamber-cylinder. The energy efficiency of digital hydraulic valve control is theoretically estimated for different operation points in steady-state conditions for single and multi-actuator systems. Another point of view is achieved by comparing measured energy consumption of the different approaches on a single-actuator test bench.
Energy recuperation becomes possible by utilizing digital hydraulic valve technology together with suitable supply system. Furthermore, the power generated by the supply unit can be better distributed among a number of active actuators through different control modes. The experimental results show that the energy losses can be decreased up to 67 % by replacing load sensing 4-way proportional valve with digital hydraulic valve system capable of independent metering.
CitationHuova, M., Linjama, M., and Huhtala, K., "Energy Efficiency of Digital Hydraulic Valve Control Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2347, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2347.
- Jansson , A. and Palmberg , J. Separate Controls of Meter-in and Meter-out Orifices in Mobile Hyraulic Systems SAE Technical Paper 901583 1990 10.4271/901583
- Hansen , A. , Pedersen , H. , Andersen , T. and Wachmann , L. Design of Energy Efficient SMISMO-ELS Control Strategies International Conference on Fluid Power and Mechatronics (FPM) 2011 China August 17 20 2011
- Yuan , Q. and Lew , J. Modeling and Control of Two Stage Twin Spool Servo-Valve for Energy-Saving American Control Conference 2005 USA June 8 10 2005
- Yao , B. and Liu , S. Energy-Saving Control of Hydraulic Systems with Novel Programmable Valves 4 th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation 2002 China June 10 14 2002
- Shenouda , A. and Book , W. Selection of operating modes of multi-functional hydraulic device ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE) 2005 USA November 5 11 2005
- Shenouda , A. Quasi-Static Hydraulic Control Systems and Energy Savings Potential Using Independent Metering Four-Valve Assembly Configuration Ph.D. thesis Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology 2006
- Opdenbosch P , Sadegh , N. , Book W. and Enes , A. Auto-Calibration Based Control for Independent Metering of Hydraulic Actuators 2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation China May 9 13 2011
- Eriksson , B. , Palmberg , J-O. Individual metering fluid power systems: challenges and opportunities Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 2011 10.1243/09596518JSCE1111
- Linjama , M. , Vilenius , M. Digital hydraulics - towards perfect valve technology The Tenth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power Finland May 21 23 2007
- Linjama , M. , Huova , M. , Boström , P. , Laamanen , A. et al. Design and implementation of energy saving digital hydraulic control system The Tenth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power Finland May 21 23 2007
- Linjama , M. , Huova , M. and Vilenius , M. Online minimization of power losses in distributed digital hydraulic valve system 6 th International Fluid Power Conference Dresden Germany April 1 2 2008
- Huova , M. , Laamanen , A. and Linjama , M. Energy efficiency of three-chamber cylinder with digital valve system International Journal of Fluid Power 11 3 15 22 2010
- Huova , M. and Linjama , M. Energy efficient digital hydraulic valve control utilizing pressurized tank line 8 th International Fluid Power Conference Aachen Germany March 26 28 2012