This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hybrid Projectile Transformation Condition Detection System for Extended Selectable Range
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Hybrid Projectile (HP) is a tube launched munition that transforms into a gliding UAV, and is currently being researched at West Virginia University. In order to properly transform, the moment of transformation needs to be controlled. A simple timer was first envisioned to control transformation point for maximum distance. The distance travelled or range of an HP can directly be modified by varying the launch angle. In addition, an internal timer would need to be reprogrammed for any distance less than maximum range due to the nominal time to deployment varying with launch angle. A method was sought for automatic wing deployment that would not require reprogramming the round. A body angle estimation system was used to estimate the pitch of the HP relative to the Earth to determine when the HP is properly oriented for the designed glide slope angle. It also filters out noise from an inertial measurement unit (IMU). An Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) was used to estimate the pitch of the HP while an algorithm determines when to deploy the wings. A parametric study was done to verify the optimum deployment condition using a Simulink aerodynamic model. Because range is directly related to launch angle, various launch angles were simulated in the model. By fixing the glide slope angle to −10° relative to the horizontal as a deployment condition for all launch angles, the range differed only by a maximum of 5% from the maximum possible range. The timer method was based on counting milliseconds from launch. Based on these findings, the body angle deployment condition provides the most flexible option to maintain maximum distance without the need of reprogramming.
CitationWilhelm, J., Gioia, C., Huebsch, W., and Gautam, M., "Hybrid Projectile Transformation Condition Detection System for Extended Selectable Range," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2203, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2203.
- Jagadish , Chirag , and Chang Bor-Chin Diversified redundancy in the measurement of Euler angles using accelerometers and magnetometers Decision and Control, 2007 46th IEEE Conference on IEEE 2007
- Lozano , R. 3D Localization Unmanned Aerial Vehicles: Embedded Control London ISTE 2010 269 70
- Manole , Leon R. , Logsdon Ernest L. Jr. , Palathingal Mohan J. , and Sebasto Anthony J. Gun Launched Hybrid Projectile. Represented by the Secretary of the Army, assignee Patent 8,115,149 14 Feb. 2012
- Premerlani , William , and Bizard Paul Direction cosine matrix imu: Theory gentlenav.googlecode.com/files/DCMDraft2.pdf 2009
- Rogers , Robert M. Applied mathematics in integrated navigation systems AIAA 2003
- Roskam , Jan. Chapter 1: Equations of Motion and Axis Systems Airplane Flight Dynamics and Automatic Flight Controls Ottawa, Kan. Roskam Aviation and Engineering 2003 19
- Shabana , Ahmed A. Euler Angles Computational Dynamics New York Wiley 1994 388 91
- Welch , Greg , and Bishop Gary An Introduction to the Kalman Filter An Introduction to the Kalman Filter University of North Carolina Chapel Hill 24 July 2006 27 Nov. 2012 http://www.cs.unc.edu/∼welch/kalman/kalmanIntro.html
- Wilhelm , Jay P. , Jackson Edward R. , Browning Patrick , and Huebsch Wade Flight Simulation of a Hybrid Projectile to Estimate the Impact of Launch Angle on Range Extension Proceedings of the ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2012 Houston