This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Robust Iterative Displacement Inspection Algorithm for Quality Control of Aerospace Non-Rigid Parts without Conformation Jig
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nowadays, optimization of manufacturing and assembly operations requires taking into account the inherent processes variations. Geometric and dimensional metrology of mechanical parts is very crucial for the aerospace industry and contributes greatly to its. In a free-state condition, non-rigid parts (or compliant parts) may have a significant different shape than their nominal geometry (CAD model) due to gravity loads and residual stress. Typically, the quality control of such parts requires a special approach where expensive and specialized fixtures are needed to constrain dedicated and follow the component during the inspection. Inspecting these parts without jig will have significant economic impacts for aerospace industries, reducing delays and the cost of product quality inspection. The Iterative Displacement Inspection (IDI) algorithm has been developed to deal with this problem. In this paper, we propose a statistical approach based on the extreme value analysis to improve the identification module of the IDI. We tested our robust IDI algorithm on a simulated aerospace sheet metal part. The experiments show that the proposed approach is more robust and effective and extends the original IDI identification module in its methodology and applications.
CitationAidibe, A., Tahan, S., and Lalonde, J., "A Robust Iterative Displacement Inspection Algorithm for Quality Control of Aerospace Non-Rigid Parts without Conformation Jig," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2173, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2173.
- Malamas , E.N. et al. A survey on industrial vision systems, applications and tools Image and Vision Computing 2003 21 2 171 188
- Ascione , R. and Polini W. Measurement of nonrigid freeform surfaces by coordinate measuring machine International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 2010 51 9-12 1055 1067
- Weckenmann , A. Optical inspection of formed sheet metal parts applying fringe projection systems and virtual fixation Metrology and Measurement Systems 2006 321 34
- Jaramillo , A.E. , Boulanger , P. and Prieto , F. On- line 3- D Inspection of Deformable Parts Using FEM Trained Radial Basis Functions 2009
- Radvar-Esfahlan , H. and Tahan , S.-A. Nonrigid Geometric Metrology Using Generalized Numerical Inspection Fixtures Precision Engineering 2012 36 1 1 9
- Aidibe , A. and Tahan , A. Curvature Estimation for Metrology of Fixtureless Non-Rigid Parts Proceedings of the ASME 2013 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference MSEC2013 Madison, Wisconsin, USA
- Abenhaim , G.N. et al. A Novel Approach for the Inspection of Flexible Parts Without the Use of Special Fixtures Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 2011 133 1 011009 11
- Thompson , R. A Note on Restricted Maximum Likelihood Estimation with an Alternative Outlier Model Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. Series B. Methodological 1985 47 1 53 55
- Lanzante , J.R. Resistant Robust and Non-Parametric Techniques for the Analysis of Climate Data: Theory and Examples, Including Applications to Historical Radiosonde Station Data International Journal of Climatology 1996 16 11 1197 1226
- Grubbs , F.E. Procedures for detecting outlying observations in samples Technometrics 1969 11 1 1 21