This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Systems Engineering Approach for Development of Aerospace Production Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An aerospace production system is one of the world's most complicated systems. It consists of highly specialized manufacturing and assembly processes coupled in complex global supply chains. The production system has to comply with rigorous certification and other regulatory requirements and is subjected to increasing commercial pressure. Commercial Air Transport may have become a commodity but commercial aircraft production systems are certainly not in that position yet due to the continuous increasing operational demands. A substantial amount of work is still required to continually improve the performance of aircraft and spacecraft, but also of the aerospace production system used to produce them, now and in the future.
A comprehensive Systems Engineering approach towards the development and optimization of aerospace production systems is therefore essential. A key goal is to integrate the complete set of requirements from all the stakeholders into the development of the production system timely, in order to create an optimized but flexible and adaptable set of processes and production means. The Systems Engineering life cycle approach provides a robust basis for coordinated analysis and decision making. It will take into account all (future) customers, technical, regulatory, logistic and economical requirements. The full program life cycle will be addressed, not only on a technical level but also on a process and organizational level, making the design drivers visible during both product and production system development.
This paper explains the Systems Engineering life cycle approach to the production system development, using real life examples from recent programs for clarification.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Technology Guidance Document for Composite Repair to Metallic Structure|
|Aerospace Standard||Landing Gear Structures and Mechanisms|
|Technical Paper||Threadless Sleeves on Threaded Pins|
CitationVerbeek, J., "A Systems Engineering Approach for Development of Aerospace Production Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2162, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2162.
- Vaughn Amanda, Fernandes Pradeep, Shields J. Tom, “Manufacturing System Design Framework Manual”, MIT-LAI
- IAQG “Supply Chain Management Handbook,” http://www.sae.org/iaqg/handbook/scmhtermsofuse.htm.
- Verbeek, Jan, Incose symposium EUSEC 2006 presentation “Design for Production - how to make it happen”.
- Altfeld, Hans Henrich, “Commercial Aircraft Projects, managing the development of highly complex products,” Ashgate Publishing Ltd. ISBN: 978-0-7546-7753-6.
- Rechtin, Eberhard, Maier, Mark W. “The art of systems architecting”, CRC Press, ISBN 0-8493-7836-2
- Eggert, Rudolph J. “Engineering Design”, Pearson Prentice Hall, ISBN 9780131433588
- McManus, Hugh, Product Development Value Stream Mapping (PDVSM) Manual 1.0, MIT-LAI