This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stability Analysis of the MAAT Feeder Airship During Ascent and Descent with Wind Disturbances
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper looks into with the aerodynamic properties and stability of the feeder airship in the framework of MAAT project. FP7 MAAT project is based on the concept of two different types of airships (the cruiser and the feeder) working together as a transportation system. The feeder considered in this paper is a rigid airship with an unconventional envelope shape.
Aerodynamic forces and moments acting on the airship during the horizontal and vertical flight modes are of special interest in this study, because the aerodynamic performance of the aircraft directly influences its general dynamic behavior and, thus, its in-flight stability. A set of CFD simulations was conducted for vertical and horizontal flights of the feeder airship. Drag and lift forces and pitching moment together with their coefficients, were obtained for different altitudes and velocities from the proposed operational ranges of the airship. Based on the results of CFD simulations the relations between these aerodynamic coefficients and flight parameters were established.
For the dynamic modeling purposes, the feeder airship was assumed to be a rigid body. The stability analysis was carried out in frames of the obtained results. The mathematical model of the feeder airship dynamics, was developed using the classic rigid body dynamic approach and the established coefficients relationships. The authors identified the range of the angles of attack for which the airship remains statically stable.
|Technical Paper||Design of a Human-Powered Aircraft Applying Multidisciplinary Optimization Method|
|Journal Article||Frostwing Co-Operation in Aircraft Icing Research|
|Technical Paper||Surface Contamination Effects on CRM Wing Section Model|
CitationNeydorf, R., Sigida, Y., Voloshin, V., and Chen, Y., "Stability Analysis of the MAAT Feeder Airship During Ascent and Descent with Wind Disturbances," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2111, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2111.
- Dumas , A. , Trancossi , M. , Madonia , M. , and Giuliani , I. Multibody Advanced Airship for Transport SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2786 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2786
- Dumas , A. , Madonia , M. , Giuliani , I. , and Trancossi , M. MAAT Cruiser/Feeder Project: Criticalities and Solution Guidelines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2784 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2784
- Khoury G.A. , Gillett J.D. Airship Technology Cambridge, UK University Press 1999 0521430747
- Bestaoui , Y. Characterization of non trim trajectories of an autonomous underactuated airship in a low velocity flight Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Barcelona, Spain April 2005
- Pshikhopov , V. , Medvedev , M. , Neydorf , R. , Krukhmalev , V. et al. Impact of the Feeder Aerodynamics Characteristics on the Power of Control Actions in Steady and Transient Regimes SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2112 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2112
- U.S. Standard Atmosphere 1976 U.S. Government Printing Office Washington, D.C. 1976