This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Damping in Complex Eigenvalue Analysis of Brake Noise to Control Over-Prediction of Instabilities: An Experimental Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Disc brake noise is recognized as a major problem of the automotive industry. Various experimental and numerical techniques have been developed to model the noisy brake and investigate possible solutions. Developing a virtual model of the disc brake which can accurately reproduce the behavior of the brake unit under different conditions is a considerable step forward towards reaching this goal.
Among various aspects of the analytical model of a disc brake, application of the correct value of damping based on the material properties and functional frequency range of each component is a significant factor in ensuring correct prediction of the brake system behavior.
Complex Eigenvalue Analysis is well established as a tool for predicting brake instabilities which can potentially lead to brake noise. However, it is known to over-predict instabilities i.e. predict instabilities which do not occur in the real brake system. The over-prediction of unstable modes is thought to be as a result of insufficient damping in the model compared with the real brake system. For this reason, the Finite Element Analysis model of the brake unit needs to be tuned in terms of damping characteristics to ensure that the model replicates the system's real behavior.
This study aims to tune the damping of different components of the brake unit Finite Element Analysis model using data from an experimental study. The study then compares the instability predictions of the tuned model and the un-damped model, and correlates them with the behavior of the same brake unit when tested on a dynamometer. This is intended to minimize over-predicted instabilities.
CitationEsgandari, M., Taulbut, R., and Olatunbosun, O., "Effect of Damping in Complex Eigenvalue Analysis of Brake Noise to Control Over-Prediction of Instabilities: An Experimental Study," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2034, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2034.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Disc and Drum Brake Dynamometer Squeal Noise Matrix SAE Standard J2521 Jan. 2006
- Ouyang , H. , AbuBakar , A. Complex eigenvalue analysis and dynamic transient analysis in predicting disc brake squeal International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 2006 2 2 143 155
- Ouyang , H. et al. Numerical analysis of automotive disc brake squeal: a review Int. J. Vehicle Noise and Vibration 2005 1 3/4 207 231
- Nouby , M. and Srinivasan K. Parametric Studies of Disk Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Approach Jurnal Mekanikal 2009 29 52 66
- Abubakar , A. Ph.D Thesis: Modelling and Simulation of Disc Brake Contact Analysis and Squeal Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering 2005 Liverpool, United Kingdom University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
- Wallner , D. et al. Numerical and Experimental Parameter Studies on Brake Squeal 2010
- Massi , F. et al. Brake squeal: Linear and nonlinear numerical approaches Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2007 21 6 2374 2393
- Kung , S.W. , Dunlap K.B. , and Ballinger R.S. Complex eigenvalue analysis for reducing low frequency brake squeal Society of Automotive Engineers 2000 109 6 559 565
- Liu , P. et al. Analysis of disc brake squeal using the complex eigenvalue method Applied Acoustics 2007 68 6 603 615
- Klaus-Jürgen Bathe , E.L.W. Large Eigenvalue Problems in Dynamic Analysis Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division 1972 98 6 14
- Ruhe , T.E.a.A. The Spectral Transformation Lanczos Method for the Numerical Solution of Large Sparse Generalized Symmetric Eigenvalue Problems Mathematics of Computation 1980 35 152 18
- Murthy , D.V. and Haftka R.T. Derivatives of eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a general complex matrix International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 1988 26 2 293 311
- Parlett , B.N. The Symmetric Eigenvalue Problem The Symmetric Eigenvalue Problem 1998 Prentice- Hall New Jersey i xxvi
- Shaw , J. and Jayasuriya S. Modal sensitivities for repeated eigenvalues and eigenvalue derivatives. AIAA Journal 1992 30 3 850 852
- Goto , Y. et al. Structural Design Technology for Brake Squeal Reduction Using Sensitivity Analysis 2010
- Dassault-Systemes Abaqus FEA Abaqus/CAE, Computer-Aided Engineering. Abaqus/Standard, General-purpose Finite-Element analyzer 2010 ABAQUS Inc.
- Kang , J. , Krousgrill C.M. , and Sadeghi F. Comprehensive stability analysis of disc brake vibrations including gyroscopic, negative friction slope and mode-coupling mechanisms Journal of Sound and Vibration 2009 324 1-2 387 407
- Liu , M. and Gorman D.G. Formulation of Rayleigh damping and its extensions Computers & Structures 1995 57 2 277 285
- Meerbergen , K. Fast frequency response computation for Rayleigh damping International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 2008 73 1 96 106
- Hughes , T.J.R. The Finite Element Method: Linear Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis 1987 Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Prentice-Hall
- Caughey , T. Classical normal modes in damped linear systems Journal of Applied Mechanics 1960 27 3
- Massi , F. , Giannini O. , and Baillet L. Brake squeal as dynamic instability: An experimental investigation The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2006 120 3 1388
- Rhee , S.K. , Tsang P.H.S. , and Wang Y.S. Friction- induced noise and vibration of disc brakes Wear 1989 133 1 39 45
- JLR L405 19″ Results, 1067aq - 1067as. Cast mod disc, pads without shims, version 1.3 caliper block 2009 Jaguar Land Rover: Internal report
- Europe , L. Brake Dynamometer Test Report: Customer Test Report # VP 48A, Link Test Report #: LE12194, P4-hollow piston- baseline blocks 070601- SAE, J2521_Standard_Sec_1_to_18-2030.SPT 2012
- Europe , L. Brake dynamometer test report: Customer Test Report # VP 48B, Link Test Report#: LE12195 2012 Jaguar Land Rover: Internal report