This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Acoustic Performance Prediction of Micro-Perforated Panels Using Computational Fluid Dynamics and Finite Element Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 13, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, interest in microperforated panels (MPPs) has been growing in the automotive industry and elsewhere. Acoustic performance prediction is an important step toward understanding and designing MPPs. This paper outlines a start-to-finish procedure to predict the transfer impedance of a particular MPP based on its hole geometry and to further use this information in a simple plane wave application. A computational fluid dynamics (CFD) approach was used to calculate the impedance of the MPP and the results compared to impedance tube and flow resistance measurements. The transfer impedance results were then used to create a computationally efficient acoustic finite element (FE) model. The results of the acoustic FE model were also compared to impedance tube measurements.
CitationGerdes, R., Alexander, J., and Herdtle, T., "Acoustic Performance Prediction of Micro-Perforated Panels Using Computational Fluid Dynamics and Finite Element Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2000, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2000.
- Alexander, J., Reed, D., and Gerdes, R., “Random Incidence Absorption and Transmission Loss Testing and Modeling of Microperforated Composites,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1626, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1626.
- Liu, J. and Herrin, D., “Effect of Contamination on Acoustic Performance of Microperforated Panels,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(2):1156-1161, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1627.
- Parrett, A., Wang, C., Zeng, X., Nielubowicz, D. et al., “Application of Micro-Perforated Composite Acoustic Material to a Vehicle Dash Mat,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1623, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1623.
- ASTM, “Standard Test Method for Airflow Resistance of Acoustical Materials”, ASTM Standard C522-03, doi:10.1520/C0522-03.
- Herdtle, T., Gerdes, R., Alexander, J.H., Bolton, J.S., “Transfer impedance of microperforated materials with tapered holes,” presented at Internoise 2011, Japan, September 4-7, 2011.
- ASTM, “Standard Test Method for Impedance and Absorption of Acoustical Materials Using a Tube, Two Microphones and a Digital Frequency Analysis System”, ASTM Standard E1050-08, doi:10.1520/E1050-08.
- Kinsler, L.E. and Frey, A.R, “Fundamentals of Acoustics,” John Wiley and Sons, New York, ISBN 0-471-02933-5, 1982.