This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automated Toolboxes for Target Setting, Troubleshooting, and NV Performance Prediction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 13, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The role of NVH test development has changed from addressing a system-level NV concern late in the design cycle (firefighting) to having well established NV optimized test procedures in place. One way this is achieved is by leveraging the information gained during troubleshooting of current product to improve the future product development process for noise and vibration. Today, most NV groups/laboratories use optimized test procedures for creating accurate, consistent, and efficient test results. This still requires expertise to post-process data, compute targets and interpret results to guide product development. This step is often overlooked and, in recent years, due to the lack of NV expertise of “younger” labs (typically in non-automotive industries) or of more established labs affected by the economic downturn (early retirements, lay-offs, especially in the automotive industry) there has been a growing need for automated post-processing “intelligent” procedures. This paper describes a few automated software tools that have been developed by the authors to address common needs of different industries such as reducing post-processing and calculation time, interpreting test data, providing guidelines for further troubleshooting and predicting system performance from component-level data. The paper will also discuss the technique/process strategies used to develop such automated tools.
CitationRinaldi, G. and Cerrato, G., "Automated Toolboxes for Target Setting, Troubleshooting, and NV Performance Prediction," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1971, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1971.
- Bergeon , M. , Braunwart , P. , Daly , M. , and Huber , J. Vehicle Cascade & Target Response Analysis (VeCTRA) is an Excel Based Tool Used for the Idle NVH Target Cascade Process SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1434 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1434
- Cerrato , G. , Crewe , A. , and Terech , J. Sound Quality Assessment of Powered Seat Adjusters SAE Technical Paper 951288 1995 10.4271/951288
- Bernard , T. , Cerrato-Jay , G. , Dong , J. , Pickering , D. et al. The Development of a Sound Quality-Based End-of- Line Inspection System for Powered Seat Adjusters SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0040 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0040
- Simonite T. Artificial Intelligence Powered by Many Humans MIT Technology Review September 2012
- Genberg V. , Doyle K. , Michels G. Optical Performance as a Function Dynamic Mechanical Loading SPIE- 5178-4
- Freeman , T. and Cerrato , G. Vehicle Pass-by Noise Estimations for Component-Level Design SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1608 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1608
- Frank , E. , Pickering , D. , and Raglin , C. In-Vehicle Tire Sound Quality Prediction from Tire Noise Data SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2253 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2253
- Jackson , P. Introduction to Expert Systems Addison-Wesley 1998
- Pietila , G. and Goodes , P. Transporting NV Standardized Testing from the Lab to the Production Environment SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2158 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2158