This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-Based Methodology for Air Charge Estimation and Control in Turbocharged Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to develop model-based methodologies which employ thermo-fluid dynamic engine simulation and multiple-objective optimization schemes for engine control and calibration, and to validate the reliability of the method using a dynamometer test.
In our technique, creating a total engine system model begins by first entirely capturing the characteristics of the components affecting the engine system's behavior, then using experimental data to strictly adjust the tuning parameters in physical models. Engine outputs over the full range of engine operation conditions as determined by design of experiment (DOE) are simulated, followed by fitting the provided dataset using a nonlinear response surface model (RSM) to express the causal relationship among engine operational parameters, environmental factors and engine output. The RSM is applied to an L-jetronic® air-intake system control logic for a turbocharged engine.
Coupling the engine simulator with a multi-objective genetic algorithm, the optimal valve timings are investigated from the viewpoints of fuel consumption rate, emissions, and torque. The calibrations are made over all the operation points; the control map is implemented in the turbocharged air-intake system control logic.
The validation of the control logic was demonstrated using a model-in-the-loop simulation (MILS). The logic output of the charging efficiency transition due to the varying throttle valve opening angle and variable valve timing was compared with the simulator output. According to the results of the MILS, in-cylinder air mass estimations are in good agreement with the engine simulator under various transient operations.
CitationSuzuki, K. and Asano, S., "Model-Based Methodology for Air Charge Estimation and Control in Turbocharged Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1754, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1754.
- Guerrier , M. and Cawsey , P. The Development of Model Based Methodologies for Gasoline IC Engine Calibration SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1466 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1466
- Holliday , T. et al. Engine - Mapping Experiments: A Two Stage Regression Approach Technometrics 40 120 126 1998
- Rose , D. W. et al. An Engine Mapping Case Study - A Two Stage Regression Approach ImechE
- Morton , T. M. et al. Radial Basis Functions for Engine Modeling ImechE 2002
- Heywood , J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1988
- Merker , G. P. et al. Simulating Combustion Springer 2005
- Suzuki , K. and Asano , S. Model-Based Technique for Air-Intake-System Control Using Thermo-Fluid Dynamic Simulation of SI Engines and Multiple-Objective Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0119 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0119
- Montgomery , D. C. et al. Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2006
- Montgomery , D. C. Design and Analysis of Experiments John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2008
- DuMouchel , W. et al. Integrating a Robust Option into a Multiple Regression Computing Environment Proceedings of the 21st Symposium on the Interface, American Statistical Association 297 301 1989
- Turin , R. , Dagci , O. , and Chang , M. Low-Cost Air Estimation SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 357 369 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0590
- Tanabe , H. , Torigoshi , M. , and Sakoda , S. Fuel Behavior Model-Based Injection Control for Motorcycle Port-Injection Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0045 2007
- Iwadare , M. , Ueno , M. , and Adachi , S. Multi-Variable Air-Path Management for a Clean Diesel Engine Using Model Predictive Control SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 764 773 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0733
- Okazaki , S. , Kato , N. , Kako , J. , and Ohata , A. Development of a New Model Based Air-Fuel Ratio Control System SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 335 343 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0585
- Sekozawa , T. , Takahashi , S. , Shioya , M. , Ishii , T. et al. Development of a Highly Accurate Air-Fuel Ratio Control Method Based on Internal State Estimation SAE Technical Paper 920290 1992 10.4271/920290