This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Dynamic Characteristics of a Single-body Hydraulic Lash Adjuster under Aeration
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To accurately simulate valve behavior in an engine employing a Hydraulic Lash Adjuster (HLA), it is necessary to reflect in the simulation model the dynamic characteristics of the HLA when feeding aerated engine oil. Traditionally HLA behavior was measured by agitating oil to aerate it inside an actual engine. With this technique, however, the aeration rate cannot be controlled to allow an examination of the relationship between aeration rate and HLA behavior. This study aims to establish a technique for obtaining HLA dynamic characteristics when oil contains air. We created an aeration device that allows free control of the oil aeration rate and, by applying excitation input to the plunger, revealed the relationship between oil aeration rate and the changes in HLA stiffness. Because of the small clearance between the HLA plunger and its housing, it is difficult for air to escape from low-temperature oil inside the HLA high-pressure chamber, which greatly affects HLA behavior.
CitationYoshii, K., Kawano, M., and Yanagisawa, N., "A Study on the Dynamic Characteristics of a Single-body Hydraulic Lash Adjuster under Aeration," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1723, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1723.
- Zhao , Y. , Tong , K. , and Lu , J. Determination of Aeration of Oil in High Pressure Chamber of Hydraulic Lash Adjuster in Valve Train SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0646 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0646
- Takahashi , K. , Kikuchi , T. , Okada , N. , Kimura , Y. et al. Method for Prediction of Engine Oil Aeration Rate SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1361 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1361
- Lin , Y. , Ramachandra , P. , Tanaka , Y. , Tawata , K. et al. Valve Train Dynamic Analysis and Validation SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1457 2004 10.4271/2004- 01-1457
- Huber , R. and Ulbrich , H. Simulation of a Valve Train Using Non-Smooth Mechanics SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 208 217 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0291
- Sano , Y. , Yanagisawa , N. , Sakaguchi , M. , and Yoshii , K. Dynamic Characteristic Calibration of a Hydraulic Lash Adjuster Model Using Unit Excitation Test SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1731 2013
- Koch , F. , Hardt , T. , and Haubner , F. Oil Aeration in Combustion Engines - Analysis and Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1074 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1074
- Selby , T. Engine Oil Air Entrainment and Release - Preliminary Studies SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1874 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1874