This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on the Effects on Performance and Emissions of an Automotive Euro 5 Diesel Engine Fuelled with B30 from RME and HVO
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of using blended renewable diesel fuel (30% vol.), obtained from Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) and Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO), in a Euro 5 small displacement passenger car diesel engine have been evaluated in this paper.
The hydraulic behavior of the common rail injection system was verified in terms of injected volume and injection rate with both RME and HVO blends fuelling in comparison with commercial diesel. Further, the spray obtained with RME B30 was analyzed and compared with diesel in terms of global shape and penetration, to investigate the potential differences in the air-fuel mixing process.
Then, the impact of a biofuel blend usage on engine performance at full load was first analyzed, adopting the same reference calibration for all the tested fuels.
Afterwards, the effects of a biofuel blend usage on brake specific fuel consumption and on exhaust emissions were also evaluated at 7 different part load operating conditions, representative of the New European Driving Cycle.
Finally, soot-NOx trade-off obtained by means of EGR sweeps were performed in the same operating points, in order to gather detailed information about further possible emissions benefits that could be achieved through a more extensive ECU recalibration.
|Journal Article||Potential of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (HVO) in Future High Efficiency Combustion System|
|Journal Article||Cold and Warm Start Characteristics using HVO and RME Blends in a V6 Diesel Engine|
CitationMillo, F., Mallamo, F., Vlachos, T., Ciaravino, C. et al., "Experimental Investigation on the Effects on Performance and Emissions of an Automotive Euro 5 Diesel Engine Fuelled with B30 from RME and HVO," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1679, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1679.
- Malhotra , R.K. , and Sarin , R. Bio-diesel for Energy Security, Environment Protection and Employment Generation SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-030 2004
- McCormick , R.L. , Williams , A. , Ireland , J. , Brimhall , M. and Hayes , R.R. Effects of biodiesel blends on vehicle emissions Int. J. Eng. Res. 2006 2 249 61 2006
- Ohshio , N. , Saito , K. , Kobayashi , S. , and Tanaka , S. Storage Stability of FAME Blended Diesel Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2505 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2505
- Aatola , H. , Larmi , M. , Sarjovaara , T. , and Mikkonen , S. Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) as a Renewable Diesel Fuel: Trade-off between NOx, Particulate Emission, and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy Duty Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1251 1262 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2500
- Pflaum , H. , Hofmann , P. , Geringer , B. , and Weissel , W. Potential of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (HVO) in a Modern Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0081 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0081
- Sugiyama , K. , Goto , I. , Kitano , K. , Mogi , K. et al. Effects of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) as Renewable Diesel Fuel on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 205 217 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1954
- Garraín , D. , Herrera , I. , Lago , C. , Lechón , Y. , Sáez , R. Renewable Diesel Fuel from Processing of Vegetable Oil in Hydrotreatment Units: Theoretical Compliance with European Directive 2009/28/EC and Ongoing Projects in Spain Smart Grid and Renewable Energy 2010 1 70 73 2010
- Rantanen , L. , Linnaila , R. , Aakko , P. , and Harju , T. NExBTL - Biodiesel Fuel of the Second Generation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3771 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3771
- Sharp , C. , Howell , S. , and Jobe , J. The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines, Part I Regulated Emissions and Performance SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1967 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1967
- Fontaras , G. , Karavalakis , G. , Kousoulidou , M. Tzamkiozis , T. , Ntziachristos , L. , Bakeas , E. et al. Effects of biodiesel on passenger car fuel consumption, regulated and non-regulated pollutant emissions over legislated and realworld driving cycles Fuel 2009 88 1608 17 2009
- Postrioti , L. , Battistoni , M. , Grimaldi , C. , and Millo , F. Injection Strategies Tuning for the Use of Bio-Derived Fuels in a Common Rail HSDI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0768 2003 10.4271/2003- 01-0768
- Guido , C. , Beatrice , C. , Di Iorio , S. , Fraioli , V. et al. Alternative Diesel Fuels Effects on Combustion and Emissions of an Euro5 Automotive Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 107 132 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0472
- Beatrice , C. , Guido , C. , Di Iorio , S. , Napolitano , P. et al. Impact of RME and GTL Fuel on Combustion and Emissions of a “Torque-Controlled” Diesel Automotive Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 118 134 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1477
- Postrioti , L. , Grimaldi , C. , Ceccobello , M. , and Di Gioia , R. Diesel Common Rail Injection System Behavior with Different Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0029 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0029
- Hulkkonen , T. , Hillamo , H. , Sarjovaara , T. , and Larmi , M. Experimental Study of Spray Characteristics between Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) and Crude Oil Based EN 590 Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0042 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0042
- Postrioti , L. Sviluppo di un Apparato per la Misura della Portata Istantanea di Sistemi di Iniezione Diesel Congresso Nazionale MisMac IX Trieste 2006
- Badami , M. , Mallamo , F. , Millo , F. and Testa , D. ICE Analyzer: a Data Acquisition System for Internal Combustion Engines National Instruments Automotive Users' Conference Turin, Italy June 2001
- Herbert , A.J. , and Russel , M.F. Measurement of combustion noise in diesel engines Mech Eng. Technol. April 1982
- Russell , M. Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source SAE Technical Paper 820238 1982 10.4271/820238