This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Input Two-Output Control of Blended Fuel HCCI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Precise cycle-to-cycle control of combustion is the major challenge to reduce fuel consumption in Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) engines, while maintaining low emission levels. This paper outlines a framework for simultaneous control of HCCI combustion phasing and Indicated Mean Effective Pressure (IMEP) on a cycle-to-cycle basis. A dynamic control model is extended to predict behavior of HCCI engine by capturing main physical processes through an HCCI engine cycle. Performance of the model is validated by comparison with the experimental data from a single cylinder Ricardo engine. For 60 different steady state and transient HCCI conditions, the model predicts the combustion phasing and IMEP with average errors less than 1.4 CAD and 0.2 bar respectively.
A two-input two-output controller is designed to control combustion phasing and IMEP by adjusting fuel equivalence ratio and blending ratio of two Primary Reference Fuels (PRFs). The designed controller consists of a Discrete Sliding Mode Controller (DSMC) and a feed-forward integral controller. The results of testing the controller on a detailed complex HCCI model shows the controller can accurately track both IMEP and combustion phasing over a range of HCCI operating conditions. In addition, the designed controller shows the ability to maintain a minimal disturbance to desired combustion phasing and IMEP when the engine speed and the intake manifold temperature change.
CitationBidarvatan, M. and Shahbakhti, M., "Two-Input Two-Output Control of Blended Fuel HCCI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1663, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1663.
- Zhao, F., Asmus, T.N., Assanis, D.N., Dec, J.E. et al., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-1123-4, 2003.
- Shahbakhti, M., Ghazimirsaied, A., and Koch, C. R., “Experimental Study of Exhaust Temperature Variation in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” Proceeding of IMechE Part D: J. of Automobile Engineering. 224(9): 1177-1197, 2010.
- Xingcai, L., Yuchum, H., Libin, J., Linlin, Z., and Zhen, H., “Heat Release Analysis on Combustion and Parametric Study on Emissions of HCCI Engines Fueled with 2-Propanol/n-heptane Blend Fuels,” Energy Fuels, 20(5):1870-1878, 2006.
- Kalghatgi, G. T. and Head, R. A., “Combustion Limits and Efficiency in a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” Int. J. of Engine Research. 7(3): 215-236, 2006.
- Shahbakhti, M. and Koch, C. R., “Characterizing the Cyclic Variability of Ignition Timing in an HCCI Engine Fueled with n-Heptane/iso-Octane Blend fuels,” Int. J. of Engine Research, 9(9): 361-397, 2008.
- Xu, H. M., Wyszynskil, M. L., Megaritis, A., Yap, D., Wilson, T., Qiao, J., Richardson, S., Golunski, S., and Peucheret, S., “Research on Expansion of Operating Windows of Controlled Homogeneous Auto-ignition Engines,” Int. J. of Engine Research, 8(1): 29-40, 2007.
- Shahbakhti, M., Ghazimirsaied, A., and Koch, C. R., “Modeling Ranges of Cyclic Variability for HCCI Ignition Timing Control,” Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, DSCC paper 2011-6118, USA, October 31 - November 2, 2011.
- Shahbakhti, M., Lupul, R., and Koch, C. R., “Sensitivity Analysis and Modeling of HCCI Auto-ignition Timing,” Proceeding of the Fifth IFAC Symposium on Advances in Automotive Control, pages 303-310, USA, August 2007.
- Ma, H., Xu, H. M., and Wang, J. H., “Real-time Control Oriented HCCI Engine Cycle-to-cycle Dynamic Modeling,” Int. J. of Automation and Computing, 8(3): 317-325, 2011.
- Haraldsson, G., Tunestål, P., Johansson, B., and Hyvönen, J., “Transient Control of a Multi Cylinder HCCI Engine During a Drive Cycle,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0153, 2005, doi: 10.4271/2005-01-0153.
- Widd, A., Ekholm, K., Tunestål, P., and Johansson, R., “Physics-based Model Predictive Control of HCCI Combustion Phasing Using Fast Thermal Management and VVA,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, 20 (3): 688-699, 2012.
- Strandh, P., Bengtsson, J., Johansson, R., Tunestål, P. et al., “Variable Valve Actuation for Timing Control of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0147, 2005, doi: 10.4271/2005-01-0147.
- Bengtsson, J., Strandh P., Johansson R., Tunesta P., and Johansson B., “Hybrid Modeling Of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine Dynamics - A Survey,” Int. J. of Control. 80 (11):1814-1847, 2007.
- Ravi, N., Roelle, M. J., Liao, H-H., Jungkunz, A. F., Chang, C-F., Park, S. and Gerdes, J. C., “Model-Based Control of HCCI Engines Using Exhaust Recompression,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology. 18(6):1289-1302, 2010.
- Shaver, G. M., Gerdes, J. C. and Roelle, M. J., “Physics-based Modeling and Control of Residual-Affected HCCI Engines,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control. 131(2), 2009.
- Olsson, J., Tunestål, P., and Johansson, B., “Closed-Loop Control of an HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1031, 2001, doi: 10.4271/2001-01-1031.
- Strandh, P., Bengtsson, J., Johansson, R., Tunestål, P. et al., “Cycle-to-Cycle Control of a Dual-Fuel HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0941, 2004, doi: 10.4271/2004-01-0941.
- Audet, A. and Koch, C., “Actuator Comparison for Closed Loop Control of HCCIC Combustion Timing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1135, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-1135.
- Bidarvatan, M., Shahbakhti, M., and Jazayeri, S., “Model-Based Control of Combustion Phasing in an HCCI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(3):1163-1176, 2012, doi: 10.4271/2012-01-1137.
- Gorzelic, P., Hellström, E., Stefanopoulou, A. G., and Jiang, L., “Model-based Feedback Control for an Automated Transfer Out of SI Operation During SI to HCCI Transitions in Gasoline Engines,” 5th Annual Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, USA, October 2012.
- Ravi, N., Liao, H. H., Jungkunz, A. F., Widd, A., and Gerdes, J. C., “Model Predictive Control of HCCI Using Variable Valve Actuation and Fuel Injection,” J. of Control Engineering Practice, 20(4):421-430, 2012a.
- Ravi, N., Liao, H.-H., Jungkunz, A.F., Chang, C. F., Song, H. H., and Gerdes, J. C., “Modeling and Control of an Exhaust Recompression HCCI Engine Using Split Injection,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 134(1), 2012b.
- Chiang, C. J., Stefanopoulou, A. G. and Jankovic, M., “Nonlinear Observer-Based Control of Load Transitions in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, 15(3): 438-448, 2007.
- Chiang, C. J., Huang, C. C., and Jankovic, M., “Discrete-time Cross-term Forwarding Design of Robust Controllers for HCCI Engines,” 2010 American Control Conference, pages 2218-2223, USA, June 30-July 2, 2010.
- Shaver, G. M., Gerdes, J. C., and Roelle, M. J., “Physics-based Closed Loop Control of Phasing, Peak Pressure and Work Output in HCCI Engines Utilizing Variable Valve Actuation,” Proceeding of the 2004 American Control Conference, pages 150-155, USA, June 30- July 2, 2004.
- Tandra, V. and Srivastava, N., “Optimal Peak Pressure and Exhaust Temperature Tracking Control for a Two-Zone HCCI Engine Model with Mean Burn Duration,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1130, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-1130.
- Shahbakhti, M. and Koch, C. R., “Physics Based Control Oriented Model for HCCI Combustion Timing”, ASME J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control. 132 (2):021010, 2010.
- Heywood, J. B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- Chiang, C. J. and Stefanopoulou, A. G., “Sensitivity Analysis of Combustion Timing and Duration of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” Proceeding of the 2006 American Control Conference, pages 1857-1862, USA, June 14-16, 2006.
- Swan, K., Shahbakhti, M., and Koch, C., “Predicting Start of Combustion Using a Modified Knock Integral Method for an HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1086, 2006, doi: 10.4271/2006-01-1086.
- Burcat, A., “Third Millenium Ideal Gas and Condensed Phase Thermochemical Database for Combustion,” Technical Report TAE 867, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, Israel Institute of Technology, January 2001. ftp.technion.ac.il/pub/supported/aetdd/thermodynamics.
- Shahbakhti, M. and Koch, C., “Dynamic Modeling of HCCI Combustion Timing in Transient Fueling Operation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):1098-1113, 2009, doi: 10.4271/2009-01-1136.
- Milosavljević, C., “General Conditions for the Existence of a Quasi-sliding Mode on the Switching Hyperplane in Discrete Variable Structure Systems,” Automation and Remote Control, 46, 307-314, 1985.
- Yu, W.-C. and Wang, G. J., “Discrete Sliding Mode Controller Design Based on the LQR Suboptimal Approach with Application on AC Servo Motor,” J. of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, 29(5): 873-882, 2006.
- Su, W. C., Drakunov, S. V., and Özgüner, Ü., “An O(T2) Boundary Layer in Sliding Mode for Sampled-data System,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, 45 (3), 482-485, 2000.
- Franklin, G. F., Powell, D., and Workman, M. L., “Digital Control of Dynamic Systems,” Addison Wesley, 1998.