This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Accelerated Life Test Methodology for Li-Ion Batteries in Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Determining Li-ion battery life through life modeling is an excellent tool in determining and estimating end-of-life performance. Achieving End-of-Life (EOL) can be challenging since it is difficult to achieve both cycle and calendar life during the same test without years of testing. The plan to correlate testing with the model included three (3) distinct temperature ranges, beginning with the four-Season temperature profile, an aggressive profile with temperatures in the 50 to 55°C range, and using a mid-temperature range (40-45°C) as a final comparison test. A high duty-cycle drive profile was used to cycle all of the batteries as quickly as possible to reach the one potential definition of EOL; significant increases in resistance or capacity fade.
|Journal Article||A ‘Microscopic’ Structural Mechanics FE Model of a Lithium-Ion Pouch Cell for Quasi-Static Load Cases|
|Technical Paper||Efficient Electro-Thermal Model for Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries|
CitationSteffke, K., Inguva, S., Van Cleve, D., and Knockeart, J., "Accelerated Life Test Methodology for Li-Ion Batteries in Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1548, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1548.
- AA Portable Power Corporation Powerize http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ionsinglecell.aspx 2013
- Lisbona , Diego and Snee , Timothy A review of hazards associated with primary lithium and lithium-ion batteries Process Safety & Environmental Protection: Transactions of the Institution of Chemical Engineers Part B Nov 2011 89 6 434 442 9
- INEEL Advanced Technology Development Program For Lithium-Ion Batteries Battery: Technology Life Verification Test Manual 2005
- Gross , O. and Clark , S. Optimizing Electric Vehicle Battery Life through Battery Thermal Management SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1928 1943 2011 10.4271/2011- 01-1370
- Yuksel , T. and Michalek , J. Development of a Simulation Model to Analyze the Effect of Thermal Management on Battery Life SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0671 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0671
- Lohmann , N. , Fischnaller , M. , Melbert , J. , Musch , T. et al. Cycle Life Investigations on Different Li-Ion Cell Chemistries for PHEV Applications Based on Real Life Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0656 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0656
- INEEL Advanced Technology Development Program for Lithium-Ion Batteries: Gen 2 Performance Evaluation Interim Report 2003