This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Validation of Lithium-Ion Automotive Battery Packs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Advanced Light-Duty Powertrain and Hybrid Analysis (ALPHA) tool was created by EPA to evaluate the Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions of Light-Duty (LD) vehicles. It is a physics-based, forward-looking, full vehicle computer simulator capable of analyzing various vehicle types combined with different powertrain technologies. The software tool is a freely-distributed, MATLAB/Simulink-based desktop application. Version 1.0 of the ALPHA tool was applicable only to conventional, non-hybrid vehicles and was used to evaluate off-cycle technology such as air-conditioning, electrical load reduction technology and road load reduction technologies for the 2017-2025 LD GHG and Fuel Economy rule. The next version of the ALPHA tool extends its modeling capabilities to include power-split and P2 parallel hybrid electric vehicles and their battery pack energy storage systems. Future versions of ALPHA will incorporate plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) and electric vehicle (EV) architectures. This paper describes the battery pack model for ALPHA.
Battery packs are key components in the various HEV, PHEV and EV architectures because they are among the costliest of drivetrain components and because Hybrid-Electric Vehicle (HEV), PHEV and EV efficiencies and driving capabilities are heavily dependent on battery pack system performance and life. This paper presents lithium-polymer battery pack model development and validation integrated into the ALPHA tool. The battery pack model consists of a battery cell, a thermal and battery management system (BMS) models. The battery pack model was validated with 2010 Toyota Prius battery pack voltage and 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid vehicle data obtained from chassis dynamometer tests. The simulated battery voltages, currents, and State of Charge (SOC) are in excellent agreement with the vehicle test data on a number of drive schedules.
CitationLee, S., Lee, B., McDonald, J., and Nam, E., "Modeling and Validation of Lithium-Ion Automotive Battery Packs," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1539, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1539.
- Lee , S. PhD , Lee , B. , Zhang , H. PhD , Sze , C. PhD et al. Development of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Model for 2014-2017 Heavy- and Medium-Duty Vehicle Compliance SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2188 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2188
- Chen , Min and Rincon-Mora , Gabriel A. Accurate electrical battery model capable of predicting runtime and I-V performance IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion 21 2 June 2006 504 511
- Schweighofer , Bernhard , Raab , Klaus M. , and Brasseur , Georg Modeling of high power automotive batteries by the use of an automated test system IEEE Transaction on Instrumentation and Measurement 52 4 2003
- Knauff , Michael , Niebur , Dagmar and Nwankpa , Chika A Platform for the test and validation of dynamic battery models IEEE Electric Ship Technologies Symposium 2009 554 559
- Kim , K. Progress of SB LiMotive Automotive Battery Technology Advanced Automotive Batteries Conference 2012
- Matsumoto , S. Developing EV Battery Market: Technology and Cost Challenges Advanced Automotive Batteries Conference 2012
- Ikezoe , M. , Hirata , N. , AMEMIYA , C. , Miyamoto , T. et al. Development of High Capacity Lithium- Ion Battery for NISSAN LEAF SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0664 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0664
- Malinowski , K.D. State of Charge Estimation for Advanced Batteries: Reduced Order Electrochemical Modeling with Error Compensation M.S. Thesis Auburn University 2011
- Pesaran , A.A. Battery thermal models for hybrid vehicle simulations Journal of Power Sources 110 2002
- Pesaran , A. A. , and Keyser , M. Thermal Characteristics of Selected EV and HEV Batteries Annual Battery Conference: Advances and Applications Long Beach, California January 2001
- Olszewski , M. Evaluation of the 2010 Toyota Prius Hybrid Synergy Drive System Oak Ridge National Laboratory 2011
- Burress , T. Benchmarking of Competitive Technologies Oak Ridge National Laboratory 2012
- Rask , E. , Duoba , M. , Lohse-Busch , H. , and Walsh , P. Advanced Technology Vehicle Lab Benchmarking - Level 2 (in-depth) Argonne National Laboratory 2012
- Rask , E. , Duoba , M. , Lohse-Busch , H. , and Bocci , D. Model Year 2010 (Gen3) Toyota Prius Level 1 Testing Report Argonne National Laboratory 2010