This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved SOC Estimation for Lithium-Ion Cells Valid for Different Temperatures and States-of-Health
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lithium-ion batteries are the most favored energy storage technology for high-efficiency hybrid and electrical vehicles. Online State-of-Charge (SOC) estimation is required for this application to estimate the remaining cruising distance. However, variation of battery parameters with temperature and cycle life has to be taken into account in order to achieve high accuracy.
In this work electrical tests on lithium-ion cells in different States-of-Health are performed and used to extract model parameters such as open-circuit-voltage and impedance. High precision test equipment has been developed to accurately track the true SOC of the cell during measurements. A strong influence of cycle-life on electrical battery behavior is observed.
A dynamic cell model based on the measurement results including temperature and aging effects is generated and subsequently used for SOC estimation with an Extended-Kalman-Filter. The results show high accordance of the estimated SOC with reference values, and significant improvements of estimation accuracy are shown for cells with high aging.
CitationWesskamp, P., Fischnaller, M., Lohmann, N., Melbert, J. et al., "Improved SOC Estimation for Lithium-Ion Cells Valid for Different Temperatures and States-of-Health," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1537, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1537.
- Karden , E. , Ploumen , S. , Fricke , B. , Miller , T. and Snyder , K. Energy storage devices for future hybrid electric vehicles Journal of Power Sources 168 1 2 11 25 May 2007 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.10.090
- Lukic , S.M. , Cao Jian , Bansal , R.C. , Rodriguez , F. and Emadi , A. Energy Storage Systems for Automotive Applications IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 55 6 2258 2267 June 2008 10.1109/TIE.2008.918390
- Pop , V. , Bergveld , H.J. , Danilov , D. , Regtien , P.P. and Notten , P.H. Battery Management Systems - Accurate State-of-Charge Indication for Battery-Powered Applications Springer 2008 10.1007/978-1-4020-6945-1_2
- Santhanagopalan , S. and White , R. Online estimation of the state of charge of a lithium ion cell Journal of Power Sources 161 2 1346 1355 October 2006 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.04.146
- He , H. , Xiong , R. and Fan , J. Evaluation of Lithium-Ion Battery Equivalent Circuit Models for State of Charge Estimation by an Experimental Approach 4 4 582 598 March 2011 10.3390/en4040582
- Coleman , M. , Lee , C. , Zhu , C. and Hurley , W.G. State-of-Charge Determination From EMF Voltage Estimation: Using Impedance, Terminal Voltage, and Current for Lead-Acid and Lithium-Ion Batteries IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 54 5 2550 2557 Oct. 2007 10.1109/TIE.2007.899926
- Plett Gregory L. Extended Kalman filtering for battery management systems of LiPB-based HEV battery packs Journal of Power Sources 134 2 252 292 August 2004 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.02.033
- Kim , J. , Lee , S. and Cho , B. The State of Charge estimation employing empirical parameters measurements for various temperatures Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference 2009 10.1109/IPEMC.2009.5157518
- Kim , J. and Cho , B.H. State-of-Charge Estimation and State-of-Health Prediction of a Li-Ion Degraded Battery Based on an EKF Combined With a Per-Unit System IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 60 9 4249 4260 Nov. 2011 10.1109/TVT.2011.2168987
- Lohmann , N. , Fischnaller , M. , Melbert , J. , Musch , T. et al. Cycle Life Investigations on Different Li-Ion Cell Chemistries for PHEV Applications Based on Real Life Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0656 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0656
- Fischnaller , M. , Melbert , J. , Scharner , S. , and Eichner , T. Test Center for Aging Analysis and Characterization of Lithium-Ion Batteries for Automotive Applications SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1374 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1374
- Grewal , M.S. and Andrews , A.P. Kalman Filtering: Theory and Practice Using MATLAB Second John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2007 0-471-39254-5
- Roscher , M.A. , Bohlen , O. and Vetter , J. OCV Hysteresis in Li-Ion Batteries including Two-Phase Transition Materials International Journal of Electrochemistry 2011 6 2011 10.4061/2011/984320