This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
AutoLion™: A Thermally Coupled Simulation Tool for Automotive Li-Ion Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, we demonstrate the AutoLion™ suite: a collection of battery simulation tools for electric drive vehicle (EDV) Li-ion cell and pack development. At the heart of each simulation tool is a thermally coupled battery (TCB) model that simultaneously computes electrochemical and thermal effects of large format cell and pack operation. As we will demonstrate through illustrative examples, TCB modeling is critically important for properly simulating EDV Li-ion cells and packs under conditions of interest to the automotive industry (cold-start, rapid charge, safety simulations, etc.). Furthermore, we highlight a one-of-a-kind degradation model that simultaneously predicts cell performance and degradation over the life cycle of the battery.
|Technical Paper||Low Cost EV Platform for Three Wheeler Electrification Development|
|Technical Paper||Simulating Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Using VHDL-AMS|
|Journal Article||Stress Analysis of the Separator in a Lithium-Ion Battery|
CitationKalupson, J., Luo, G., and Shaffer, C., "AutoLion™: A Thermally Coupled Simulation Tool for Automotive Li-Ion Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1522, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1522.
- Doyle , M. , and Newman J. Modeling of galvanostatic charge and discharge of the lithium/polymer/insertion cell Journal of the Electrochemical Society 140 6 1993 1526 1533 10.1149/1.2221597
- Doyle , M. , Newman J. , Gozdz A. , Schmutz C. , and Tarascon J. Comparison of Modeling predictions with experimental data from lithium ion cells Journal of the Electrochemical Society 143 6 1996 1890 1903 10.1149/1.1836921
- Gomadam , P.M. , Weidner J. , Dougal R. , and White R.E. Mathematical modeling of lithium-ion and nickel battery systems Journal of Power Sources 110 2002 267 284 10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00190-8
- Peck , S. and Pierce , M. Development of a Temperature Dependent Li-ion Battery Thermal Model SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0117 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0117
- Wang , C.Y. , and Srinivasan V. Computational battery dynamics (CBD)- electrochemical/thermal coupled modeling and multi-scale modeling Journal of Power Sources 110 2002 364 376 10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00199-4 January 9 2013
- Fang , W. , Kwon O.J , and Wang C.Y. Electrochemical thermal modeling of automotive Li-ion batteries and experimental validation using a three-electrode cell International Journal of Energy Research 34 2010 107 115 10.1002/er.1652 January 9 2013