This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Development of a Range Extender Electric Vehicle Demonstrator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper, which is the fourth of a series, presents the REEV demonstrator vehicle developed by MAHLE Powertrain, which features a specifically designed range extender unit. The previous papers describe the specification setting, detailed design and the development of the range extender engine.
A current production gasoline fuelled compact-class car was used as a donor vehicle and converted into a range-extended electric vehicle (REEV). The all-electric driveline specification has been developed to meet the performance criteria set for the demonstrator, matching the acceleration and maximum speed capabilities of the conventional donor vehicle. Also, a target electric only range has enabled the battery pack capacity to be specified. The resulting vehicle is intended to reflect likely, near to market, steps to further the wider adoption of electric vehicles in the compact-class passenger car segment.
This paper presents details of the REEV vehicle developed and the Range Extender system integration. Additionally, the operating strategy for the engine is described and results showing the measured fuel efficiency of the vehicle are presented.
|Journal Article||A Study of Fuel Converter Requirements for an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle|
|Journal Article||Maximizing Net Present Value of a Series PHEV by Optimizing Battery Size and Vehicle Control Parameters|
CitationBassett, M., Hall, J., Kennedy, G., Cains, T. et al., "The Development of a Range Extender Electric Vehicle Demonstrator," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1469, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1469.
- Bassett , M. , Fraser , N. , Brooks , T. , Taylor , G. et al. A Study of Fuel Converter Requirements for an Extended-Range Electric Vehicle SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 631 654 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0832
- Bassett , M. , Thatcher , I. , Bisordi , A. , Hall , J. et al. Design of a Dedicated Range Extender Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0862 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0862
- Bassett , M. , Hall , J. , OudeNijeweme , D. , Darkes , D. et al. The Development of a Dedicated Range Extender Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1002 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1002
- EVO Electric AF-130 datasheet http://www.gkndriveline.com/drivelinecms/export/sites/driveline/downloads/datasheets/AF-130.pdf
- E/ECE/324-E/ECE/TRANS/505 Regulation No 101 Rev 2, Annex 8 29 th April 2005