This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Kinematic Modeling and Analysis of a Cam Based CVT
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Continuously variable transmission (CVT) offers many advantages to vehicle performance over traditional transmission technologies. A novel cam based CVT was proposed in US patent # 4,603,240, by J. Klovstad and J. Fortune , which has a cam input to drive an angle dependent, clutch actuated output shaft. Based on the patented CVT, a kinematic simulation, utilizing three dimensional CAD software was performed, creating a visualization and analysis model to ascertain system performance and feasibility. This article describes the mechanism created, limitation of the modeling software and the approach utilized to overcome these limitations. The resultant motion is then analyzed to ascertain the performance of the mechanism and determine the viability of the design concept. Key improvements to the system are proposed to the design, based on system performance through this analysis.
CitationHickman, G., Gu, R., and Chang, Y., "Kinematic Modeling and Analysis of a Cam Based CVT," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1371, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1371.
- Klovstad , John W. , and Fortune James A. MECHANICAL TRANSMISSION CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE FROM FORWARD TO REVERSE Patent 5603240 18 Feb. 1997
- Lang , Keven R. Continuously Variable Transmissions: An Overview of CVT Research Past, Present, and Future 123seminarsonly.com/Seminar-Reports/005/34368943-cvt.pdf 3 May 2000 15 Feb. 2012
- Harris , William How CVTs Work 27 April 2005 HowStuffWorks.com http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm 14 April 2012
- Baxter , Eric How long do brake pads last? 14 July 2010 HowStuffWorks.com http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/car-part-longevity/brake-pads-last.htm 14 April 2012
- NSX One-Way Clutches: The GX Series 14 Apr. 2012 http://www.promshop.info/cataloguespdf/e4602.pdf