This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emissions of a SI Engine using Methanol-Water Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using liquid alcohols, such as methanol and ethanol, in spark-ignition engines is a promising approach to decarbonize transport and secure domestic energy supply. Methanol and ethanol are compatible with the existing fuelling and distribution infrastructure and are easily stored in a vehicle. They can be used in internal combustion engines with only minor adjustments and have the potential to increase the efficiency and decrease noxious emissions compared to gasoline engines. In addition, methanol can be synthesized from a wide variety of sources, including renewably produced hydrogen in combination with atmospheric CO₂.
Presently, during the production of ethanol or methanol a dehydration step is always applied. This step accounts for a significant part of the entire production process' energy consumption and thus, from an economical point of view, methanol and ethanol could become more interesting alternative fuels if the costs related with dehydration could be reduced.
Also, methanol and ethanol are prone to absorb water when they are exposed to the atmosphere for a considerable amount of time, for example, during transport or storage.
The present study gives insights into the advantages that could exist with methanol-water blends and compares the brake thermal efficiencies and engine-out emissions from a production-type four-cylinder SI gasoline engine running on gasoline, pure methanol and methanol-water blends. Methanol-water blends of 2.5% v/v, 5% v/v and 10% v/v water are tested. It is shown that the brake thermal efficiency does not differ significantly for all methanol fuels and is still higher than the efficiency on gasoline. NOx emissions are reduced substantially for the fuels with higher water content.
CitationSileghem, L., Huylebroeck, T., Van den Bulcke, A., Vancoillie, J. et al., "Performance and Emissions of a SI Engine using Methanol-Water Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1319, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1319.
- Pearson , R.J. , Turner , J.W.G. , Peck , A.J. Gasoline-ethanol-methanol tri-fuel vehicle development and its role in expediting sustainable organic fuels for transport IMechE Low Carbon Vehicles Conference London, UK 2009
- Pearson , R.J. et al. Energy Storage via Carbon-Neutral Fuels Made From CO2, Water, and Renewable Energy Proceedings of the IEEE 2012 100 2 440 460
- Fuel cells. Cover Story Engine technology international 2007
- Verhelst , S. et al. Efficiency comparison between hydrogen and gasoline, on a bi-fuel hydrogen/gasoline engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2009 34 5 2504 2510
- Verhelst , S. and Wallner T. Hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2009 35 6 490 527
- Yuen , P. , Villaire , W. , and Beckett , J. Automotive Materials Engineering Challenges and Solutions for the Use of Ethanol and Methanol Blended Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0729 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0729
- Colpin , C. , Leone , T. , Lhuillery , M. , and Marchal , A. Key Parameters for Startability Improvement Applied to Ethanol Engines SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 180 188 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0616
- Turner , J. , Pearson , R. , Purvis , R. , Dekker , E. et al. GEM Ternary Blends: Removing the Biomass Limit by using Iso-Stoichiometric Mixtures of Gasoline, Ethanol and Methanol SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0113 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0113
- Specht , M. and Bandi A. Renewable carbon-based transportation fuels Renewable Energy 3C 414 482 Springer Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin 2006
- Roan , V. et al. An investigation of the feasibility of coal-based methanol for application in transportation fuel cell systems 3rd International Energy Conversion Conference San Francisco, CA; USA 15 18 Aug. 2005 6 2005
- Olah , G.A. , Goeppert A. , and Prakash G.K. Beyond Oil and Gas: the Methanol Economy Wiley-VCH Verlag CmbH & Co., KGaA Weinheim, Germany 2006
- Galindo Cifre , P. and Badr O. Renewable hydrogen utilisation for the production of methanol Energy Conversion and Management 2007 48 2 519 527
- Costa , R.C. and Sodré J.R. Hydrous ethanol vs. gasoline-ethanol blend: Engine performance and emissions Fuel 2010 89 2 287 293
- Keuken , Hans , MacDonald , Tom , de Jager , Eric , Sijben , Jo Hydrous Ethanol for Gasoline Blending 17th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Tiayuan China October 13 16 2008
- Johansen , T. and Schramm J. Low-Temperature Miscibility of Ethanol-Gasoline-Water Blends in Flex Fuel Applications Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects 2009 31 18 1634 1645
- Vancoillie , J. et al. Comparison of the renewable transportation fuels, hydrogen and methanol formed from hydrogen, with gasoline - Engine efficiency study International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 2012 37 12 9914 9924
- Vancoillie , J. et al. The potential of methanol as a fuel for flex-fuel and dedicated spark-ignition engines Applied Energy 0
- Martinez-Frias , J. , Aceves S.M. , and Flowers D.L. Improving Ethanol Life Cycle Energy Efficiency by Direct Utilization of Wet Ethanol in HCCI Engines Journal of Energy Resources Technology 2007 129 4 332 337
- Zhang , J. , Liang S. , and Feng X. A novel multi-effect methanol distillation process Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification 2010 49 10 1031 1037
- Donnelly , R.G. et al. Methanol as an automotive fuel: a summary of research 1976 Energy Laboratory M.I.T.
- Walker , M. and Chance , R. Corrosion of Metals and the Effectiveness of Inhibitors in Ethanol Fuels SAE Technical Paper 831828 1983 10.4271/831828
- Brink , A. et al. Carburetor corrosion: the effect of alcohol-petrol blends VII International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels Technology 1986 Paris
- Vancoillie , J. et al. Efficiency Comparison Between Hydrogen, Methanol And Gasoline On A Production-Type Four-Cylinder Engine 13th EAEC European Automotive Conference 2011 Valencia
- Skinner , W. , Viljoen , H. Corrosion of carburettor materials Corrosion and Coatings SA 1981
- Qi , D.H. et al. Properties, performance, and emissions of methanol-gasoline blends in a spark ignition engine Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D-Journal of Automobile Engineering 2005 219 D3 405 412