This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of High Efficient Radiator Cooling Fan for Automotive Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, with the aim of achieving a high-efficient, low-noise and light-weight radiator cooling fan, the authors have conducted the visualization experiment and the CFD analysis of air flows around fans, and finally developed a new propeller fan whose blades are connected together by a ring formed inward from their tips. Owing to this ring, the fluid noise due to vortices caused by blade tip etc. was reduced by approximately 2dB. In addition, the fan efficiency was improved by around 5 points by modifying the shape of the ring so as to facilitate smooth air flow to it. Since the strength of the blades was reinforced by connecting them with the ring, the blade thickness was decreased and, as a result, the fan weight was reduced by 20g.
|Technical Paper||Fan Noise Prediction for Off-Highway Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Development and Validation of Coolant Temperature and Cooling Air Flow CFD Simulations at Volvo Cars|
CitationOta, H., Yuichi, K., Yukio, O., and Hiroshi, Y., "Development of High Efficient Radiator Cooling Fan for Automotive Application," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1293, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1293.
- Robert J , Billy R. M et al. Laboratory Method of Testing Fans for Rating ANSI/AMCA Standard 210-85 and ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 51-1985 Jul. 1985
- Kobayashi T. et al. Handbook of Particle Image Velocimetry First 151 162 Morikita, Tokyo 2002
- Nashimoto , A. , Akuto , T. , Nagase , Y. , and Fujisawa , N. Aerodynamic Noise Reduction by Use of a Cooling Fan with Winglets SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0531 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0531
- Nashimoto A. , Fujisawa N. , Akuto T. and Nagase Y. Measurement of Aerodynamic Noise and Wake Flow Field in a Cooling Fan with Winglets Journal of Visualization 7-1 2004 85 92 2004
- Nashimoto A , Fujisawa N and Sasaki H Visualization of Noise Sources and Surface Flows over a Rotating Fan Blade Journal of Visualization 9-3 2006 245 246 2006
- Nashimoto , A. , Akuto , T. , Nagase , Y. , Yoda , T. et al. Detection of Aerodynamic Noise Sources over a Rotating Radiator Fan Blade for Automobile SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0545 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0545