This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Contemporary Tools and Approach for Project Management Sustainability in Indian Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Project management has evolved over the years and is adopted by different industries for successful project execution. Many organizations today are moving from a functional structure to a project-oriented team based structure. Also, Project management has progressed from a traditional approach to a modern project management approach and moving towards sustainable project management.
Many studies predict a major growth in automotive industry in the developing and emerging markets compared to the developed nations. Many multinational and transnational companies are setting their foot in the developing/emerging economies to leverage the expected growth in the automobile sector, and especially India. These projects are likely to have uncertainties during their planning and execution phases. Here traditional project management approach is not adequate and project management sustainability becomes a challenge.
There are books and standards which gives a good detail on the traditional/ conventional project management tools. If we have to handle projects in such fuzzy or uncertain situations, we need to build upon the existing traditional tools or use some contemporary tools. This paper focuses on the contemporary tools and approach for successful project execution in this scenario. The challenge is the use of appropriate tools and approaches, tailored to the organizational requirements. The tools and approaches which will help us in gearing up for the sustainability challenge, and which will be focused in this paper includes innovation, automation, knowledge management, perception management.
CitationLoganathan, Y., "Contemporary Tools and Approach for Project Management Sustainability in Indian Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1278, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1278.
- Microsoft Office A quick history of project management http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/a-quick-history-of-project-management-HA010351563.aspx
- Richman , Larry Successful Project Management Third American Management Association 2011 http://common.books24x7.com/toc.aspx?bookid=42083
- Department of Heavy industry, Ministry of heavy industries and public enterprises Report on working group on automotive sector for the 12 th five year plan (2012-2017) http://dhi.nic.in/Auto%20report%20final.pdf
- Badrinarayanan G , Vashisht Pankaj Determinants of competitiveness of the Indian auto industry Indian council for research on international economic relations October 2007
- Project Management Institute PMI's pulse of the profession 2012
- Deena Levine & Associates, LLC http://dlevineassoc.com/what-we-do.html Sep. 2012
- Thompson Kenneth N Servant Leadership: An effective model for project management Thesis Capella University August 2010
- Harvey , Michael The hidden force: A critique of normative approaches to business leadership SAM Advanced Management Journal 66 4 36 48 2001
- Rao Madhavan S. PMP Steering project success McGraw Hill 2007
- University of Illinois Business level strategy: Cost and differentiation advantage 2012 http://business.illinois.edu
- Vrontis Demetris (Cyprus), Thrassou Alkis (Cyprus) Adaptation vs. standardization in international marketing - the country-of-origin effect Innovative Marketing 3 4 2007
- De Bono Edward Serious creativity : Using the power of lateral thinking to create new ideas Zondervan 2002
- Shetty Rekha Dr. Innovate Penguin Books Limited 2010
- Burchill Gary , Brodie Christina Hepner Voices Into Choices: Acting on the Voice of the Customer Oriel Incorporated 1997
- Economist First break all the rules - The charms of frugal innovation April 15 th 2010
- Nobeoka Kentaro and Cusumano Michael A. MIT Sloan School of Management Multi-Project Management: Strategy and Organization in Automobile Product Development WP#3609-93/BPS September 11 1993
- Liu Cong , Umphress David Auburn University Heavyweight or Lightweight: A Process Selection Guide for Developing Grid Software http://cs.unc.edu
- VTT Technical research centre of Finland Agile software development methods -Review and analysis http://www.vtt.fi 2002
- Project Management Institute PMI Agile Certified Practitioner: Practitioner frequently asked questions http://pmi.org Jan. 2012
- Project Management Institute Project Management Body of Knowledge-Fourth Edition http://pmi.org 2008
- National skill development corporation Human resources and skill requirements in the auto and auto components sector (2022) - A report
- Choi , B. and Lee H. Knowledge management strategy and its link to knowledge creation process Expert Systems with Applications 2002 23 2002 173 187