This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Baseline Flow Characteristics for the Realistic Car Model DrivAer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The realistic car model DrivAer is investigated experimentally up to a Reynolds number of 2.8 million in the closed-loop wind tunnel at the "Technische Universitüt" Berlin. This new open-source design-hybrid of an "Audi A4™" and a "BMW 3 series™" possesses more representative car features as the well-known generic "Ahmed-Body." Therefore, the study of realistic flow structures is enabled. The main focus of the experimental investigations is the analysis of unsteady flow phenomena in the near wake of the model with a fastback configuration. An internal six component force balance and 63 pressure sensors measured simultaneously the forces and surface pressures with a sample rate of 5 kHz. Furthermore, the velocity field in the plane of symmetry is visualized through Particle Image Velocimetry. In the trailing edge region of the roof and the beginning of the rear window a local low pressure peak likely caused by a vortex is detected. This vortex may sustain the flow attachment downstream and hence, improves the pressure recovery. Although instantaneous flow field snapshots illustrate large-scale structures and the meandering of a free stagnation point in the model's wake, no dominant frequencies are found from spectral analysis of time-resolved pressure and force measurements.
CitationStrangfeld, C., Wieser, D., Schmidt, H., Woszidlo, R. et al., "Experimental Study of Baseline Flow Characteristics for the Realistic Car Model DrivAer," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1251, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1251.
- Hucho , W. H. Aerodynamik der stumpfen Körper Vieweg+Teubner Verlag 2 2011 978-3-8348-1462-3
- Ahmed , S. , Ramm , G. , and Faltin , G. Some Salient Features Of The Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake SAE Technical Paper 840300 1984 10.4271/840300
- Wassen , E. , Thiele , F. LES of Wake Control for a Generic Fastback Vehicle AIAA Conference Paper (2007-4504). 37 th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit Miami, Florida, USA 25 28 June 2007
- Heft , A. I. , Indinger , T. , and Adams , N. A. Investigation of Unsteady Flow Structures in the Wake of a Realistic Generic Car Model AIAA Conference Paper (2011-3669), 29 th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference Honolulu, Hawaii, USA June 27 30 2011
- Mack , S. , Indinger , T. , Adams , N. A. , Blume , S. , Unterlechner , P. The Interior Design of a 40% Scaled DrivAer Body and First Experimental Results ASME Puerto Rico, USA FEDSM2012-72371 July 8 12 2012
- Wojciak , J. , Adams , N. , Indinger , T. , Theissen , P. et al. Investigation of Unsteady Vehicle Aerodynamics under Time-Dependent Flow Conditions AIAA Conference Paper (2011-3349), 29 th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference Honolulu, Hawaii, USA June 27 30 2011
- Greenblatt , D. , Kiedaisch , J. , Nagib , H. Unsteady-Pressure Correction in Highly Attenuated Measurements at Moderate Mach Numbers 31 st AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference & Exhibit Anaheim, California, USA 11 14 June 2001
- Raffel , M. , Willert , C. E. , Kompenhans , J. Particle Image Velocimetry: A Practical Guide Springer Berlin 1998 3-540-63683-8
- Mack , S. , Indinger , T. , Adams , N. , Blume , S. et al. The Interior Design of a 40% Scaled DrivAer Body and First Experimental Results ASME Puerto Rico, USA July 8 12 2012 FEDSM2012-72371
- Heft , A. , Indinger , T. , and Adams , N. Introduction of a New Realistic Generic Car Model for Aerodynamic Investigations SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0168 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0168
- Hucho , W. H. Aerodynamik des Automobils VIEWEG 5 2005 3-528-03959-0