This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of Age-Specific Human FE Models for Lateral Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Corresponding to the increasing need for the protection of elderly people from traffic accidents, the authors have been developing age-specific human FE models capable of predicting body kinematics and skeletal injuries for younger adult (35y.o.) and the elderly (75y.o.). The models have been developed and validated part by part referring to the literature and then integrated into whole bodies. Validation had been conducted in order of single bones, components and whole body. Whole body kinematics in frontal impact had been validated against the PMHS frontal belt restrained sled tests series, resulting in good biofidelity scores. In this study, the models were validated for lateral impact. The models were validated against several impact tests of body regions from ISO-TR9790 and against recently published full scale lateral sled tests for whole body kinematics. In most cases, the results showed good biofidelity of the models. Capability of the rib fracture prediction was also discussed.
CitationDokko, Y., Yanaoka, T., and Ohashi, K., "Validation of Age-Specific Human FE Models for Lateral Impact," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1242, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1242.
- Wolrd Health Organization Ageing and Life Course http://www.who.int/ageing/en/index.html 2012
- Institute for Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis Traffic Statistics 2011 2012
- Dokko , Y. , Ito , O. , and Ohashi , K. Development of Human Lower Limb and Pelvis FE Models for Adult and the Elderly SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0396 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0396
- Dokko , Y. , Kanayama , Y. , Ito , O. , and Ohashi , K. Development of Human Lumbar Spine FE Models for Adult and the Elderly SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0382 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0382
- Ito , O. , Dokko , Y. , and Ohashi , K. Development of Adult and Elderly FE Thorax Skeletal Models SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0381 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0381
- Ito , O. , Ito , Y. , Dokko , Y. , Mori , F. , Ohhashi , K. Development of Adult and Elderly FE Thorax Models (Second Report) Transactions of JSAE 42 3 703 708 2011
- Ito , Y. , Dokko , Y. , Motozawa , Y. , Mori , F. et al. Kinematics Validation of Age-Specific Restrained 50th Percentile Occupant FE Model in Frontal Impact SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0565 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0565
- ESI Group Explicit Solver Reference Manual 2009
- Sugimoto T. and Yamazaki K. First Results from the JAMA Human Body Model Project Proceedings 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, #05-0291 2005
- ESI Group H-model™ Version 2007 User's Manual 2007
- Rhule , H.H. , Maltese , M.R. , Donnelly , B.R. , Eppinger , R.H. , Brunner , J.K. and Bolte , J.H. Development of a new biofidelity ranking system for anthropomorphic test devices Stapp Car Crash Journal 46 477 512 2002
- ISO/TC22/SC12/WG5 Road Vehicles - Anthropomorphic Side Impact Dummy - Lateral Impact Response Requirements to Assess the Biofidelity of the Dummy Document N455-Revision 4 1997
- ESI Group User's Manual, Visual Viewer ver8.2
- Riley P.O. , Arregui-Dalmases C. , Purtserov S. , Parent D. , Lessley D.J. , Shaw G. , Crandall J. , Takayama S. , Ono K. , Kamiji K. , Yasuki T. Kinematics of the Unresrained Vehicle Occupants in Side-Impact Crashes Traffic Injury Prevention 13 1-3 163 171 2012
- Lessley D. , Shaw G. , Parent D. et al. Whole-body Response to Pure Lateral Impact Stapp Car Crash Journal 54 289 336 2010
- Viano , D. Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact SAE Technical Paper 892432 1989 10.4271/892432
- Kemper A. R. , McNally C. , Kennedy E. A. , Manoogian S., J. , and Duma S. M. Influuence of Arm Position on Thoracic Response in Side Impacts Stapp Car Crash Journal 52 379 420 2008