Manufacturing Support Design for Low-Cost Instrument Clusters
Published April 8, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
All automotive ECUs are required to be designed for manufacturability. Sufficient support in the ECU product design needs to be incorporated early in the product life cycle for the product to be successfully and efficiently manufactured, necessitating serial communication capability in the design. However, in low-cost automotive Instrument Clusters the customer requirements for the product typically do not encapsulate serial communication, and the ECU is not required to support repair/rework out of field rejection. This paper delineates the said need, examines the challenges for manufacturability of low-cost Instrument Clusters and proposes a plausible design strategy to help the issue with a use-case instance.
CitationThanthry, S., "Manufacturing Support Design for Low-Cost Instrument Clusters," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1232, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1232.
- Belay A M. Design for Manufacturability and Concurrent Engineering for Product Development. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 49 2009.
- Kee Electronics Ltd. JTAGICE mkII Literature. http://www.keeelectronics.com/mkii.htm
- Delphi Design Standard for Plastics. DDS-6. http://kogespw1.delcoelect.com:8508/passthru/consumer?name=DDS%206&doctype=K8DBSDoc
- Road vehicle - Environmental conditions and testing for electrical and electronic equipment - Part 1-4. ISO 16750-1-4. Dated 2006. www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue
- Road vehicles - Diagnostic systems - Keyword Protocol 2000 - Part 2. ISO 14230-2. Dated 1999. www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue